Prevent 1Password Safari extension from using Command+Shift+X

lemondjeff
lemondjeff
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I see the 1Password web extension's manifest.json tells Safari that Command+Shift+X should open the extension popover:

"commands": {
    "_execute_browser_action": {
      "suggested_key": {
        "default": "Ctrl+Shift+X",
        "mac": "Command+Shift+X"
      }
    },
    "lock": {
      "name": "lock",
      "suggested_key": {
        "default": "Ctrl+Shift+L",
        "mac": "Command+Shift+L"
      },
      "description": "Lock the extension"
    }
  },

Is there any way to disable this or change ? I use this as a global shortcut on my Mac for something else.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3 (20207)
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• lemondjeff
    lemondjeff
    Community Member

Also, the shortcut for locking 1Password, Command+Shift+L, conflicts with Safari's View->Show Sidebar menu item shortcut.

• Hi @lemondjeff! There isn't a way to disable this in the current release of the Safari extension, but I'm working right now to get this shortcut removed as it does indeed conflict with Safari's View -> Show Sidebar shortcut as you've noted. So in a future release this will no longer be an issue 😄.

• markinto
    markinto
    Community Member

Not to hijack this thread, but what's the difference between using Command-Backslash and Command-Shift-X to access 1P from within a browser?

• CMD + \ is the classic 1Password autofill shortcut; it will fill the matching item for the given context or (if there is more than one matching item) show UI to allow you to choose which item to fill. That shortcut is handled by the desktop app and communicated to the browser extension as needed. It cannot be set from within the browser as the webextension shortcuts API doesn't allow CMD + \ to be used as a shortcut.

CMD + SHIFT + X opens the browser extension popup. It doesn't immediately trigger autofill; instead, you can select an item in the pop-up and then press enter to fill it.

• Justin Rhodes
    Justin Rhodes
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Any update on the fix? This bug is really hurting my productivity as I also use command+shift+x for something else in Browser

• Hey @Justin Rhodes:

Thanks for your feedback on this. As Jarek mentioned, there isn't any way to change the shortcut inside 1Password for Safari, but I'll share your feedback with the team as we continue to evaluate all options.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• fletch29
    fletch29
    Community Member

+1 for the ability to disable or remap Shift-Command-X in Safari, as I have a work application that uses that as a global shortcut and it's very important for my workflow - especially since I've been using ⌘-\ for 1Password since like version 2? :)

• Hi @fletch29:

Thanks for your feedback on this! I've added you to the internal discussion we're having around this.

Jack

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@ag_jarek
    No conflict with Safari View side bar

• smagdali
    smagdali
    Community Member

In 2.3.7 on Safari this has started driving me insane. Please give us apple-shift-x back.

• andygoldstein
    andygoldstein
    Community Member

+1, please let us configure/remove command-shift-x! Thanks!

• tison
    tison
    Community Member

All yes same here. I need command+shift+x for google docs striekouts, use it all the time. How do we turn this off for 1pass?

• Hi @tison / @andygoldstein / @smagdali / @Gilles9:

Thanks for your feedback. I can't promise anything, but we're continuing to explore this.

Jack

• 1l2p
    1l2p
    Community Member

This issue was first reported in May. Just adding my vote to remove the shortcut, as long as users are not able to disable it.

• cirwin
    cirwin
    Community Member

I'd also love this to go away, as I can't use strike-through in a Google Doc in Safari at the moment (without futzing with the menus; but it's much slower and less satisfying :D)

• Thanks for the feedback folks. I have shared it internally.

• NickBracko
    NickBracko
    Community Member

Another +1 on this. Cmd+Shift+X is used in Google Docs to strike through text, so is very frustrating given we already have Cmd+Shift+Space and **Cmd+** that essentially do the same thing.

• squeakytoy81
    squeakytoy81
    Community Member

Command-Shift-X is the shortcut we use internally at Apple to open Radars by number. Having that hijacked by the browser extension is extremely inconvenient.

• amsha
    amsha
    Community Member

+1. I have to uninstall the Safari extension until this shortcut is removable.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

Thanks folks I have documented your feedback for the team.

• DribbleMott
    DribbleMott
    Community Member

+1 I would like the team to prioritize this as it really impacts my productivity. I use command-shift-x strikethrough keyboard shortcut all the time.

• Thank you for your feedback @DribbleMott, I have added your voice to the internal discussion.

• riicard
    riicard
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

+1 very frustrating that 1password is hijacking Command-Shift-X. I'm forced to disable 1Password to use Google Doc strike through.

Update: I found through the Chrome 1Password extension settings the ability to change the shortcut which opens the extension. The default conflicting shortcut was still disruptive and should be changed.

• Hey @riicard,

You're right, you can modify this shortcut in Chrome.

I'm sorry for any disruption caused!

• cdzombak
    cdzombak
    Community Member
    edited April 2023

+1. This conflicts with a shortcut I use frequently in Google Docs.

I wonder if adding telemetry to the product will get you to fix this 🙄

• I have added your vote @cdzombak, thank you for your feedback.

• howiem
    howiem
    Community Member
    edited July 2023

We do a ton of work in Google Docs/Sheets; have had to uninstall the 1pass extension for now - please add my vote to a "disable / reassign kbd shortcut" thing

(in practice we're advising staff to save commonly used passwords in their Apple Keychain until this is fixed - but that's not exactly ideal)

• Thanks for sharing this @howiem, I have passed this on to the team.

Another option would be to use a different browser other than Safari and within here you have the ability to change the shortcut.

I'm sorry for the disruption, let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.