Using 1Password as a contacts manager

Options
mrbeign
mrbeign
Community Member

I was thinking for privacy reasons to start storing many of my contacts within 1Password. What’s would be the best way to start doing that. Are using identities the best way to go about doing this?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mrbeign ,

Unless you want them presented as auto-fill candidates on web pages, probably not. I’d recommend just using Secure Notes.

Add custom fields if you’d like, and you can create one as a form of template. Just duplicate that record when you need a new one, and enter the data.

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

@MrC , thanks for the reply. Yeah that was my concern about using identities and I didn't see any other categories that would work. Using the Notes category could work, then use a tag such as #contacts if I wanted to filter and just see a list of all contacts. However using notes to accomplish this I think would lose functionality like being able to click on a phone number when using the mobile app and getting the option to place a call to that number.

Maybe 1Password could consider creating a Contacts category. It would be a great way to securely and privately keep contact info. On my iphone some apps require access to contacts and that means they get ALL the info I might put in for my contacts, including birthdays and such.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Options

@mrbeign

1Password 7 and 8 allow setting the field's type. Set it to Phone, then you have the Call button:

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Oh perfect. I’ve only used notes for basic text and hadn’t noticed you can add custom fields.

This discussion has been closed.