Subdomain sensitive autocomplete suggestion in browser extensions (c'mon it is now 2022!)

dmir
dmir
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I know this has been requested several times here but I'd like to add the request now again in 2022.

It is a mess that the browser extension still can't suggest subdomain sensitive items. In the end with equally named items (separated by project tags) it is a guessing game to find the correct suggestion when you are on the same domain and different subdomains. (the subdomains are correctly added to the items)

Every password manager (Bitwarden, Lastpass, Keeper...) is able to to that and 1Password should do that as well. It is a 100% UX painpoint for especially business usage.

In the end when you have to organise passwords on a project basis where some of them are always equally named (project items separated by tags) but you are on the same domain for the items it is a guessing game and a pain to use the extension.

I hope you can finally sort this one out in 2022 since I don't believe that this can't be solved.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I also gave my vote(s) to this request in the past. But I want to vote again here... Hopefully this feature will find its way into the extension in the near future. πŸ‘

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dmir and @DenalB - Thanks for taking the time to raise a vote for this feature once again. I know it has come up quite a few times, and of course, as a 1Password user myself, I'd love to see this functionality. I can say for sure that our team is aware this feature request is a popular one, and there has definitely been internal chatter about it. I'll be sure to add your 'votes' in support of the internal feature request we have open. πŸ™‚

• WillowTwist
    WillowTwist
    Community Member

+1
    I have several/many sites that do not have SSO and require unique username/passwords for each subdomain

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @WillowTwist I added your vote as well. πŸ‘

Cheers!

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

In the end we have to conclude that the browser extension is unusable if you got hundreds of logins under the same root domain with different subdomains.
    The autofill doesn't help at all and we stopped using it since out of a list of >100 entries it is impossible to pick the right one.

An absolute deal breaker for 1Password in general.

And I'm sorry this major usage bug is open since 2017. This is absolute nuts. For one of the most expensive password managers out there this is really crazy and embarrassing. (considering the funding you get)

And just for your info the explanation from 2017 is well known (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/348474#Comment_348474) but this can't still be the reason for driving 1password unusable. Just store the login items hashes of the root AND subdomain (a.b.de -> HASH, b.de -> HASH) and it would be no problem to suggest the correct login items in the correct and usable order. (since the browser extension can generate hashes for the current domain on the fly)

Implementation suggestion:

Map not encrypted:

HASH for a.de -> Login Item A
    HASH for b.a.de -> Login Item A

Browser extension:

Current website (b.a.de)

-> Generate hash for "a.de" and generate hash for "b.a.de" and look into the unencrypted map.

Et voila you can suggest both items without even a single need of decrypting it beforehand. It is as simpel as that.

This is not some kind of micro bug this is a major flaw since it drives the browsers autofill unusable. And guess what employees started to activate Chromes password manager to save the passwords due to this major usability flaw. (since the autofill of chrome just works perfectly...)

And this makes it a major security bug!

I'm really angry that this one gets ignored now for more than half a decade.

Just embarrassing.

PS: For private use this is not a problem since you normally don't have multiple login items for the same domain. But for business usage especially in the field of web development agencies it is an absolute mess. All the login items are cleanly separated by subdomain but get all suggested at once.

• Chr1sS
    Chr1sS
    Community Member

+1

Please add my vote as well.

• xd003
    xd003
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

+1
    This is really something so basic that shouldn't even require much noise
    The subdomain specific entries should be at the very top in suggestions

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

Yeah unfortunately no one cares about it from 1Password.

• Chr1sS
    Chr1sS
    Community Member

It is hard to believe that such an important and hundreds of times requested feature (there is more than one thread about this feature) is neglected for so long. Since some competitors' products offer this feature, there should be no general technical reason not to implement it. For some inexplicable reason they just don't want to implement this feature...

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

Yeah unfortunately pretty ridiculous.

• CyrilH
    CyrilH
    Community Member

+1 vote as well

• Maksold
    Maksold
    Community Member

+1 vote

Very very long awaited feature.

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member

PLEASE, as a developer with prod vs test done by subdomain (and literally hundreds of test accounts) this is crucial to be able to actually find the right login.

• rocinante
    rocinante
    Community Member

This is the NUMBER ONE REASON why I do not recommend 1password for business. I suspect the 1password test group is only comprised of consumers who test it on sites like amazon.com or citi.com. If you work at any type of business that has in-house web-based applications, subdomains are VERY widely used. Every time I need to log into one of my own sites I have to scroll through an endless list of logins in 1password. It's really annoying. If I had known about this limitation when evaluating password management for my organization I would have picked a different company, no question. PLEASE add this or at least acknowledge it's coming soon. Getting ready to roll this out to 2 more departments.

This discussion has been closed.