Divorce: How to split one account into two separate accounts?

dietrologia
dietrologia
Community Member

My wife and I are getting divorced and we share a common single 1Password account that I manage (it's not a family account). I've gone through our passwords and segregated them into separate vaults, but now I need to create a second account so that at the end of the day, we each have our own individual 1Password accounts.

How do I create a second account? I'll be the one setting this up, so I'll be using the same email address already being used with 1Password. Is buying a second account (but using a separate password enough)? I'm basically wondering how 1Password will know which account I'm accessing as I export the vaults to the proper accounts.

I figure this is a common enough scenario that there must be a FAQ on how to do this. Thank you for any assistance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dietrologia:

Since it sounds like you've already sorted out which items in your 1Password account belong to which of you, the next step is to create a new 1Password account, add that 1Password account to your 1Password app, and copy the relevant items across to the new 1Password account's Personal vault.

With that said however, it isn't possible to sign up for more than 1Password individual account with the same email. It may make more sense and be easier if your wife uses her email address to create a new 1Password account, and copy the items relevant to her into her new account.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• dietrologia
    dietrologia
    Community Member

Hi Jack and thank you for confirming what I'm experiencing -- this is happening because I'm the "tech guy" that's handling this transition on behalf of both of us.

I'll create a second temp email and purchase a second 1Password account with it. My ex can then swap the email over to her own when I'm done with the export.

Thank you again for your response and help!

Take care,

-d

• You're very welcome @dietrologia! Take care as well.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.