Keyboard-only navigation - selected password does not copy

lorenlambda
lorenlambda
Community Member

Using 1Password v8 on macOS, I'm seeing the same issue as someone else on Windows, 1Password 7, in 2019.

• When I navigate to a stored account (via search, keyboard-only),
  • And I invoke the Copy Password (Cmd-Shift-C),
  • I expect the newly targeted account's password in my clipboard.

• Instead, I find the password of the last account where I had clicked into the "account entry" viewing pane.

I wish that when I search for an entry, I could copy that account's password (with Cmd-Shift-C) by only selecting it in the search-suggestion menu (without hitting Return) and invoking the Copy Password keybind command.

I expect that when I search for an entry, then navigation select to it in the search suggestions menu, then hit enter to select it. ...that the entry will be selected as a target for the Copy Password command and keybind.

It appears a workaround is to: search, (select or don't the result), hit Cmd-Enter, navigate up-down to the entry, C-S-c will copy it, as the entries are somehow "active" in 1Password app's consideration for copy-targets.

Given that 1Password 8 has forced me to use a new workflow in a redesigned app, I feel frustrated that successive seemingly simple affordances for my use case, keyboard only workflow, are so impaired by the design.

Can / will 1Password support a shorter keyboard-only workflow in searching and copying passwords?

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/interaction-elasticity/

Summary: Usage goes down as interaction costs increase. User motivation determines how fast demand drops, following an elasticity curve.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/microinteractions/

Summary: Microinteractions convey system status, support error prevention, and communicate brand. They are initiated by a trigger, are single-purpose, and can make the experience engaging.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password does not copy

Comments

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited June 2022

Hey @lorenlambda :

With 1Password 8 the search experience has been redesigned and it works a little differently from 1Password 7. In 1Password 7 when you searched for an item that item would become automatically selected in the centre column where you could use a keyboard shortcut to copy that selected item's password. 1Password 8 instead presents a few suggestions in a new search drop-down in order to bring you more relevant results, these suggestions are not selected in the centre column so the keyboard shortcuts don't apply to the item in the drop-down but to the item that is currently selected in the centre column behind the search drop-down.

To copy a password from an item you'll first need to click on that item (or press enter) so that it becomes selected in the centre column of the app. Alternatively, like you mentioned, you can search for an item and press command-enter which will open your search in the centre column. Then you can use the keyboard shortcut to copy the password

Let me know if you have any questions, or are experiencing a different behaviour.

Alvin

• lorenlambda
    lorenlambda
    Community Member

I've only just now realized how to use the new search interface, I had assumed the description referred to the new (in appearance, but perhaps not per-se UX) "Show 1Password" interface (per Keyboard Shortcuts label in Preferences).

I see now that you're referring to the "Show Quick Access" workflow, which—hoh-my-goodness, yes—is a nice workflow.

• Hi @lorenlambda,

Thanks for your kind words, I also enjoy using Quick Access to copy passwords! Alvin's instructions refer to the 1Password 8 app window itself, and is certainly also a viable keyboard-only option once you've set up a shortcut for it.

I'm glad you've found something that fits in your workflow, don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have more questions or feedback. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.