Strange tray icon behavior in Fedora Silverblue

Boricua3
Boricua3
Community Member

This is happening to me in Fedora 36 Silverblue, Gnome 42. I configured it to show up in the tray area (just like Bitwarden, for example). However, if I click the icon, I get the Gnome's settings user account window instead. Not only that. The icon only stays visible for around 10 seconds before vanishing. But, if I rigth-click the icon and click "Open 1Password" or "Open Quick Access" (before the icon dessapearing), both functions work and then the icon is gone again. Moreover, the icon stays in place if I keep the desktop app open. Once closed, the icon behaves as described. Hope this info is helpful.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Linux Fedora 36 Silverblue

Comments

• bootc
    bootc
    Community Member

You seem to have the same behaviour as I just described in https://1password.community/discussion/128687/clicking-system-tray-applet-appindicator-opens-seahorse-passwords-and-keys-in-gnome#latest, except my icon doesn't vanish. I suspect 1Password must be crashing for you, separately to the issue of opening the wrong app when left-clicked...

Is there anything in ~/.config/1Password/logs/1Password_rCURRENT.log that might indicate what's going on?

• Thanks for writing in Boricua3, this is definitely not the behaviour I would expect. I don't see this on my own system but I'm on Fedora 35. Do you have any other apps with tray icons? If so, do their tray icons behave correctly? Also, could you confirm how you installed 1Password (Flatpak, rpm in a toolbox, ...)?

• Boricua3
    Boricua3
    Community Member

Thanks to bootc and Mathleu_1P. I will try to answer both inquiries. But first, I am not in front of my main workstation at home (from were I sent my report). The one I'm using now also runs Fedora 36 but the "traditional" type, not Silverblue. In both instances I used Flatpak instead of rpm to install the 1Password app. I'm using the Tray Icons Reloaded extension in Gnome but found similar results with other tray icons extensions. All other tray icons, Ferdy, Bitwarden, Telegram and even Dropbox behave as expected. I did loose my Nextcloud tray icon since moving to F36, either Silverblue or rpm-based.
    In this rpm "vanilla" Fedora I'm typing right now, the tray icon does not crash (at least not so far after 30 plus minutes since launching the app), but otherwise shows the same behavior that in Silverblue. If I left-click, I get Gnome's settings user account window. If I right-click, I can open both the app and the Quick Access option. Tried several successful launchings of both the app and Quick Access and the tray icon remains in place.
    Perhaps because I installed with Flatpak, I don't have a ~/.config/!Password folder. In both rpm based Fedora and Silverblue I guess that should be placed in the /var directory.
    Hope this info is useful and will try to provide any further data you may require.

• Boricua3
    Boricua3
    Community Member

I just updated to version 8.7.0 via Flatpak in my main workstation running Silverblue. Issues remain the same, although the tray icon seems a little bit more stable. I got one crash, but then I launched the app again and the icon remains in place for around an hour so far.

• Mathieu_1P
    edited April 2022

My apologies @Boricua3 I somehow read your initial post as if 1Password continued running in the background with an invisible appindicator icon.

I really would like to understand what is behind the crash your are seeing. To that end, could I ask you to collect and submit a diagnostic report? From the computer that is exhibiting the issue:

Open 1Password.
    Press Ctrl+, on your keyboard (or use the tripple dot menu to go into the settings).
    Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    Click Send Diagnostics.
    Click Reveal.
    Attach the .1pdiagnostics file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128668/strange-tray-icon-behavior-in-fedora-silverblue#latest
    Your forum username: Boricua3

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Boricua3
    Boricua3
    Community Member

No problem @Mathieu_1P. I just sent the report. My only doubt was the username, so I used mine (Boricua3) instead of Ben_Singer. I hope I did the right thing. The support Id is [#KCD-56945-539]. By the way, I updated this morning to the latest version (80700049) and the issue remains.

• Ouch, that was embarrassing. Thanks for putting up with me and my inattentive handling multiple threads. I'll try to have a look myself or get one of my colleagues to do so. Hopefully we can get you an answer quickly.

• Boricua3
    Boricua3
    Community Member

Thanks.

• Thank you @Boricua3, we have received your message and will follow up with you over there. Thank you once again for the detailed description of the issue you've provided here!

• Boricua3
    Boricua3
    Community Member

No problem. Just in case, I switched from Wayland to Xorg and the behavior was the same.

• Thanks @Boricua3! We appreciate the detail. I see that we've got an email conversation going as well, so further follow-ups from our team will happen over there to keep things tidy. 👍

• haiderh
    haiderh
    Community Member

Hey, I've been having this exact same issue.

Any updates from any other users? This appears like an application issue more than an OS/GNOME issue AFAIK.

• Hi @haiderh, we haven't found a definitive fix for this yet, although one person did report that switching to Silverblue 36 Beta resolved the issue for them - but we can't make any promises about this. If you'd like us to dig in in-depth, feel free to contact us at support+linux@1Password.com, too. Understanding more about your configuration and system specifics could help us improve our understanding of the issue (and we always appreciate it!).

This discussion has been closed.