Why doesn't a Search show a list of responses?

AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member

A lot was really changed with 1P Ver 8. About the only thing I like is the ability to choose a larger or smaller font. What I really dislike (almost "hate") is that it now looks like a bubblegum machine -- every window looks like a huge array of ugly pastel icon colors everywhere. Is it supposed to be cute? To me, it looks like someone vomited on the window. No kidding.

But seriously, I am very frustrated with the way the SEARCH tool has been changed. A search used to generate a list of possibilities in the column on the left side. Now it shows nothing on the left side and simply shows ONE response on the right side. If that response is not what you were looking for, you have to start the search over and hope it comes up with something better. Is there some way to get the search tool to show a list of possibilities again? I don't see any way to modify how the search function performs in Preference settings.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: MacOS 12.4
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:Why doesn't a Search show a list of responses?

Comments

• chaoskcw
    chaoskcw
    Community Member

Agree the search change is a step backwards in usability. Also the filtered list is no longer sorted as per the list sort presences

• Hi @AMCarter3:

It sounds like you might be selecting a suggestion. If you choose "Show all matching items", does that give you the results list you're expecting? Let me know!

Jack

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

It's important to make a distinction between how Quick Access handles searches versus the full 1P app works. If for example, if I select "Open Quick Access" in 1P in the menubar and type "Google" in the search window, I get a list of 8 Google items in my database. If click on one of them, instead of opening that 1P database item in a window, it opens a browser page as if the default assumption is I want to log in. Then, I have start over, go to the menubar, click on "Open 1Password" and then search again for "Google", click the data item to copy the info I wanted. So, my point is, I don't find the default assumption in Quick Access to be helpful. I'd like a choice - either go to a browser to open the item at its origin OR open that item in 1Password.

• Hi @AMCarter3:

You can use ⌘+O when a item is highlighted in Quick Access to open it in a new window, or Shift+⌘+O to open it in the main 1Password app. With that said, I can see how it would be handy to change the default action of Quick Access, so I've shared your thoughts with the team.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1415

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Jack,

You were right... When I did a search across all categories, I was selecting one suggestion in the list and was bothered that I couldn't see ALL of the items related to it. I never "saw" the option at the bottom to choose "Show all matching items". The does that give me the results list I was expecting? My suggestion is -- make that option MORE visible in the list window. These recent changes in 1P are less than obvious.

This discussion has been closed.