1Password8 is gr8, but...

Options
friedlotto
friedlotto
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Mac

First off, I wish to congratulate the people involved in creating the latest release, it is super easy on the eye and just feels smooth and responsive.

Issue 1: Watchtower/Collections/Vaults
I can't select a vault, and then run Watchtower on that vault. I know I can use "Collections", but that would mean that I would have to create a "Collection" for each vault as a hacky workaround. I would argue the current "Collections" should contain the individual vaults. So that when any "query" operation (Watchtower or filter) is run it can be run against a single vault, user defined "Collection" or ALL.

Issue 2: Changing Field Types
I have seen that there is a JIRA backlog item for this, just wished to add my vote to the (hopefully large) number of other votes. Especially since new fields sort of default to text and if one forgets to correctly specify this before populating and saving ... it means the tedium of copying the content, deleting the field, recreating it with the correct type and pasting the value. Displaying the field type in Edit mode would be nice too.

Issue 3: Reordering Fields
Also one that has been raised, and again I wish to add my little voice to the JIRA backlog choir. :) This is especially irksome when a website adds a field (like say backup/alternative email) later in their evolution, OR, when "fixing" an incorrect field type (i.e. having to recreating it, and thus adding it in last position). It is simply too much of a schlepp to achieve one's "preferred/standard" ordering of fields without the lovely ☰ draggy handle. :P

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

Off topic - where is the JIRA board for 1Password? - I'd love to get more insight into the priorities set for future releases.

• Hi @friedlotto:

Thanks for your feedback on this, I'll share it with the team. I believe I've added your thoughts on issue 2 and 3 to the internal issues we have tracking this.

@esquared:

On a micro level, we tend to keep our roadmap pretty close to the chest until we're ready to release a change. On a macro level however, A vision of the future with 1Password might be informative on what we want the future of 1Password to be. 😃

Jack

• friedlotto
    friedlotto
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P thanks for the update. I really think the clean new version 8 look has legs (with some minor UX polish it’s a winner). 😉

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

I have a very different view of the "clean, new look". Ugly... it looks like someone splattered pastel paint colors all over the screen. It reminds of those old bubblegum machines with hundreds of colors of gum. Ugly, childish, unprofessional in my view.

And the search tool is now driving me nuts. Searches used to produce a list of options with similar names. Now it produces ONE item. If that is not what you are looking for, too bad... you get to start the search over... again and again. Very dumb "improvement". You can do better!

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P - I might be inclined to agree with @friedlotto if it weren't for the fact that the features mentioned in this post existed in 1Password7 and their absence has been discussed ad-nausea in many different ways since the first pre-beta of 1Password 8. To say that they are "minor UX" changes may or may not be true, but to the extent that we as users have any insight, and the lack of any progress on any of them, it looks like AgileBits doesn't care about them at all. (and NO, telling me that my vote has been tallied does NOT count as attention - talk is cheap - only action matters)

Reputation and perception matter, and thus far, the perception I, and I think many others, have is of a company struggling to recover from a poorly rolled-out complete rewrite of an existing product. If that's not the truth, then someone aught to explain the lack of attention before your reputation degrades any further. A clear acknowledgement of the missing features, along with an active apology and explanation as to the backstory is one way. Another, or additional, approach would be a clear promise to return those features to the product, with a timeline.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

I shouldn't have ended that on such a negative note. I LOVE 1Password. I still recommend it, and I still require use of it by my employees, but I tell people to stay with 1P7 for now. Please let me be your advocate for the new version by addressing the issues raised here and elsewhere.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Well said, esquared. I share your appreciation for what Agilebits has added in a very positive way to our increasingly digital lives. And, I want, expect and hope they will hear our request for serious improvements in Ver 8.

I still marvel at how much more secure I feel having 1P to monitor and fix vulnerabilities in our many online accounts... like the ability to catch sites where I don't yet have 2FA activated.

• AJ1980
    AJ1980
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a very long-time 1pass user, and I can say that this new user interface is terrible. It's a massive step back. There is far too much wasted space, and nearly enough quickly identifiable information at a quick glance. It hurts my brain too much. I feel like I'm being forced to read a condensed, large-print version of Readers Digest while in a dingy waiting room at a doctor's office. Here's hoping that we can go back to the previous interface. I never had to think about that I was looking for. There's been far too much change, too quickly, for an otherwise valuable and fuss-free utility. Why change something that worked so well?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

The one thing that bugs me the most is... the inconsistency of 1P on my iPhone and iPad. By inconsistency, I mean sometimes it performs effortlessly and instantly when I need to enter my log-in username and password for a site. At too many other times, it seems difficult, time consuming, confusing and tediously frustrating when 1P can't "remember" that I just used it to access another site just 2 minutes ago and demands that I re-enter my master password (over and over). On some sites, 1P is simply not able to enter the password.

It has become so consistently inconsistent that I've gradually come to dread using it on my mobile devices. I have begun to NOT TRUST 1P as anything more than a database that I can access to MANUALLY copy and paste a username and password. That is surely not a good sign.

• Hi @AMCarter3:

That would be a separate issue, but in short, when 1Password is invoked using Password AutoFill (for filling in another app), it isn't able to persist settings like unlocking with Touch ID or Face ID. If you've recently restarted your phone, opening 1Password once with Touch ID or Face ID should improve the situation.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.