Cannot Setup Sync On New Ipad Mini

Trying to setup sync on my ipad mini, I want it to sync with my current 1password information.

I choose Sync existing and it tells me (on my Mac) I need to allow new connections in my settings.

Heres the problem I am having I only get the screen for new database or sync existing there is nowhere I can see to access the settings?

Can anyone help please.

John

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    John

On the iPad its confusing, you must first use create new database and sync from there. If thats the issue.

Sounds like you are using wifi sync, is that you preferred method. Dropbox syncing is available etc.

From you description it sounds like you need to look on the Mac for the security settings window which displays the codes needed to verify the device etc. It has been so long for me (I use Dropbox sync). Look on the Left hand side I think its below the 1Password trash can or maybe immediately above it.

I think thats correct if not I apologize in advance, old KHAD or one of our other residence guru's will be along soon isn and can help further.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, John! As Tommy mentioned, you will need to create a new database. The "Sync Existing" is misleading as it is only for manual Wi-Fi syncing. To set up Dropbox syncing (which is what we recommend as it is completely automatic), you will need to first create a new database. Don't use the "Sync Existing" button.

The you will be able to access 1Password's settings and turn on Dropbox syncing. Here is our complete Dropbox sync setup guide:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • I've been using 1Password for some years now and have been more or less happy. Happy enough for a password protector and happy enough to install the app on my first gen iPad as well as my office desktop Mac.
    Now I bought a new iPad gen 4 and am trying to sync. The level of frustration and the time suckage I cannot afford to devote to an app that's supposed to be convenient has me considering looking elsewhere.

From what I can see on these forums, it would appear that 1Password is essentially now dropbox dependant. Is this the case? Should those of use for whom DropBox is not an acceptable option look elsewhere for a password protector?

If something in your interface is misleading, why not fix it so it no longer misleads? How about adding the word iPad to your interface also?

Right now, My shiny new iPad can't sync with my Mac and your app is useless to me. That was frustrating enough but the replies on this forum have made my user experience even worse.
    Frankly, your tech support sucks at explaining your own app.

Yours in frustration.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Welcome to the forums, RadicalOmnivore! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Dropbox syncing is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing. With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on.

Dropbox Sync Setup Guide

I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing. It is more robust than Wi-Fi syncing (since it works as long as you have an Internet connection). It is also extremely secure:

Security of storing 1Password data in the cloud

If you would prefer to stick with manually syncing via Wi-Fi, please read on.

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section in 1Password, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…"

**IMPORTANT:** Please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. This will restart the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device:

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Tap **Settings > Sync** and turn Wi-Fi Sync ON.
    3. Tap "Allow New Connections". 1Password will display two secret sync codes.

On your Mac:

1. You should be prompted to enter the codes automatically.
    2. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    3. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

If you are still stuck, please take a look at our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide.

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any additional questions.
  • Thanks for the cut n' paste. i've already spent the last day bouncing around reading the same stuff.
    "[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar .... "[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And if it is not?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Also, might there be an issue because I am upgrading to a new iPad as opposed to just adding an iPad for the first time?[/font]
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If it's not then just skip that part since you won't be able to perform that step.

If you follow the rest of the steps everything should work fine.

What step are you stuck on? I'm trying to help you, but I'll need you cooperation as well since I can't reach through the computer and set it up for you. :)

If you're stuck, please tell me specifically which step you are stuck on, wha action you are taking, and what you are [not] seeing. With some more details I can then provide you with more specific assistance.
This discussion has been closed.