1Password 80800170 stealing focus all the time -> unusable!

XIII
XIII
Community Member

Looks like you re-introduced a super annoying bug in the 80800170 Nightly (from the early days of version 8 for macOS): 1Password 8 is stealing the focus when browsing.

This means I have to quit 1Password until this is fixed. I can't do my work like this.

1Password Version: 80800170 Nightly
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.4
Browser: Safari Version 15.5 (17613.2.7.1.8)

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Also, it looks like the link between the browser extension (logged out) and the App (logged in) is broken?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Oh, it's even worse: it not only happens when using the browser, but also when using the 1Password CLI!

• Hi @XIII

Our engineering team is aware of the issue and has merged a fix. We'll be kicking off a new nightly build ASAP. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core!13470

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

How do I revert to a previous build? My mac is now unusable!

• @Chris Messina

You can switch to the beta. Set the release channel to 'beta' in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and then install from the link at https://releases.1password.com/mac/beta/

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

Ok — got it. I tried to get back on the beta channel previously, and in the next update, 1Password put itself back on the Nightly channel! I think I'm ok now... 😅

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

Hmm... just installed the beta and am seeing this...! Will this put me back on the Nightly?

• Most probably. I'll update this thread when we have a new nightly build with the fix — likely later today.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I hope 80800171 is not that build, because it's just as broken/annoying as 80800170...

• It isn't. 172 will be. 👍️

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Just came here to report the same - most annoying bug yet, but I'm glad to see you're on the case!

• If all goes well it should be resolved in about an hour with the release of nightly build 172. 🙏🏻 The problem was in the updater. So, 171 contained the fixed updater, and 172 will receive the benefits of that.

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

172 seems ok so far!

• @XIII @Chris Messina

I am on 172 now and all appears well. Sorry for the trouble folks. Thanks for the further confirmation @snozdop

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Confirming that 172 seems to have solved the problem.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Seems fixed indeed. Thank you!

But please improve your QA...

• @XIII

We don't QA nightly builds. If you want QA then either the production or beta channel would be more appropriate.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I'll switch to Beta then (until the SSH team comes with something nice again 😉).

• 😁

Ben

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Seems like it's back: 1Password for Mac 8.9.4, 80904028, on NIGHTLY channel. Constantly taking focus....

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

...and remains in 1Password for Mac 8.9.6, 80906006, on NIGHTLY channel.

Persists after restarts. Seems to only occur when the main app is unlocked. Very awkward as I am reviewing and deleting emails and 1P keeps stealing focus and asking me to confirm that I want to archive items.

(GAH! and happened as I'm trying to edit this comment, click in the box in Firefox, now I'm typing in 1P!)

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

@Ben --This is a major issue. I just had to log into the web interface to restore a critical entry that was moved to archive (probably when I was deleting emails and 1P kept stealing focus)--which wasn't showing up in the archive on my local database:

1Password for Mac 8.9.6, 80906007, on NIGHTLY channel; macOS 12.5.1

I can't be the only person with this issue!

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Seems to have resolved with 1Password for Mac 8.9.6, 80906015, on NIGHTLY channel.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Nope--it's back. Trying to zoom on a webpage, and I notice that instead of the active FF tab I'm working in zooming, 1Password on the other monitor is zooming...

1Password for Mac 8.9.6 (80906032)

(...or pasting the version number. I click to activate 1P. Copy the version number. Click the open text box, the cursor appears, and then as I hit command-v focus switches back to 1P, so I have to repeat the process.)

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Caught it in action this morning. Working in Vivaldi and 1Password keeps stealing focus and isn't even open:

(and again as I'm typing this in Firefox).

• lucaberta68
    lucaberta68
    Community Member

@rpallred I too was running into huge focus issues with standard released 1Password 8.9.4 and Safari 16, with the latest browser extension.

Turned out the suggestions in this message so far have fixed the issue! Why don't you try and see if it fixes your issue too!

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/653630/#Comment_653630

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

@lucaberta68

Turned out the suggestions in this message so far have fixed the issue! Why don't you try and see if it fixes your issue too!

THANK YOU! This seems to have worked.

I think I originally overlooked the solution because it seemed specific to the Safari extension, and I use Firefox--however, following these steps appears to have resolved the issue.

This discussion has been closed.