Old Passwords, searching in the favorites and default vault

ChuckEllenbChuckEllenb
Community Member

Hi,

Unfortunatly it seems like every time there is a major upgrade to the program you take features away. I have three issues I have found so far.

1. How do you find previous passwords after a password change. Every previous version of 1password I've ever seen always had a way to look at previously used passwords, not this one. I've had situations where I thought I'd changed the password and apparently hadn't and that was my only way to fix the problem.
  2. When you are on the favorite's icon in the left column, and you attempt to search the resulting group you wind up searching the entire data base not just the favorites. I have about 40 favorites saved, and I'm used to being able to search in that "group".
  3. When we create a new item in 1Password the default is to put the new item in the Private vault. The default in Version 7 was that way to but at least we had a way to change it, if there is a way in V8 I haven't found it yet.

It would be nice to be able to have the option to turn off new options if you don't like them. Options are nice to have, especially when you've been using the program since about V1. The search method in general so far I don't care for however it could be useful.

Unfortunatly I'm afraid to install any new versions because something I'm used to or relied upon was taken away. I know, this was a total re-write, as I believe was 7, however I don't think that's a very good answer as things always disappear. I know going to V7 I had the same problem however I don't believe I complained about it.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ MS Edge

Comments

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member
    edited June 29

Hi @ChuckEllenb, thank you for this feedback. I'm happy to discuss the points you've brought up here.

How do you find previous passwords after a password change

This functionality still exists, it's just in a different spot. πŸ‘ You can find it like this:

1. In 1Password 8 for Windows, select an item that has previously-used passwords associated with it.
    2. In the right-side panel, hover over the password field and select the downward-pointing arrow ( v )
    3. Select View Password History, then Reveal for the password you're interested in.

Quick note: this will only work for items that actually have previous passwords associated with them. If an item has only ever had one password (ha) assigned to it, it won't show that view password history option, as there is no history to view.

I hope this is helpful!

ref: PSS-I-34

When you are on the favorite's icon in the left column, and you attempt to search the resulting group you wind up searching the entire data base not just the favorites.

We've recently introduced a feature that lets you narrow things down in the way you mention. It's called Find, and it operates a bit differently than search does in 1Password 8 (in some ways, it's more like what you might be used to from 1Password 7).

On Windows, you can invoke this using ctrl + alt + f. Let me know what you think, and if this meets your needs!

Finally, regarding the default vault save behavior: this is something that was changed intentionally in 1Password 8. You can still configure your 1Password extension in your browser to save to a vault of your choosing, though.

To do this,

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select Save New Items In ___ and set it to the vault of your choice.

Again, we appreciate you sharing your impressions with us and letting us know where we can improve. I hope that these tips prove useful, and welcome any additional thoughts you'd like to offer.

• ChuckEllenbChuckEllenb
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the update. The way to view old passwords, now that I know about it, makes sense.

The Ctrl+alt+f for searching is kind of convoluted, antiquated and not intuitive. I'm sure there was a reason to change how the program searches however the keystroke just isn't overly intuitive, takes 3 keystrokes, and you have to think about how to do it. This is the opinion of my users that it was better the old way.

May I ask why the default vault option was changed? Why couldn't we still have the option to change it? I'm sure someone thought it was a good idea but we have added items, not realizing or forgetting, telling our users the password is in there and they think we're nuts. Then we have to go back in and find it and move it to the vault we've been sharing. I realize the option is in the browser version however we have a lot of entries that aren't created in the browser.

I don't remember the other items I've thought were gone, I've asked about and told, that's just the way it is.

Is there a way to find a list of the major changes that were just made, like the default vault change in the Widows version or do we have to just try to read the change logs. There are a lot of changes. I'm happy the program is being worked on however changes like the default vault is a problem.

Thank you for a great program however you might want to take into account how much a change being made can cause your users problems, especially for folks like me who are in and out of the program 20 times a day doing tech support.

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member
    edited June 29

Hi @ChuckEllenb, greetings once again. πŸ‘‹ I do appreciate the feedback and the chance to discuss this with you; thanks for lending your perspective.

First, it's great that the View Password History option has proven useful for you. We love to hear it!

Regarding search:

The Ctrl+alt+f for searching is kind of convoluted, antiquated and not intuitive[...] May I ask why the default vault option was changed?

Sure, no problem. Search was changed in 1Password 8 in a variety of ways. Given that the app was built from the ground up, its hard to enumerate all the ways its different, but, to cover a few main points:

• The new search is meant to be more adept at intuiting what a user wants. For example, I have certain logins as part of my work here that I use every day, and I've noticed that as I started using 1Password 8, those items began to float up to the top of my results.
    • Some of the technical aspects of how search works were changed to better support folks who are using languages other than English.

With that said, we've gotten a lot of feedback from folks that they would prefer something more like the old 1Password 7 search. We're still working on the main search feature, but in the meantime the find feature (that ctrl + alt + f one) was implemented to provide an intermediate solution in the meantime.

If you feel that the behavior of that find feature (minus the hotkey required to invoke it) suits your needs, we do have an open feature request with our developers for an option to make find the default search behavior. Let me know if you'd like me to add a vote on your behalf for that - I'll be happy to do so.

May I ask why the default vault option was changed?

This had partly to do with concerns over inadvertent item-sharing. That said, we recognize that there are multiple considerations and are paying attention to community response, as you've provided here.

Is there a way to find a list of the major changes that were just made

We don't have a definitive list of changes (to my knowledge), partly because 1Password 8 was written as an entirely new app, rather than an incremental iteration upon the existing 1Password 7. This also offered a chance to re-imagine how every aspect of the app might be done, since its a necessity anyway when you're building from the ground up. A direct comparison also becomes more complex given that the previous generation of 1Password apps also weren't the same across platforms - 1Password 7 has (non-OS dependent) features that are not present in 1Password 7 for Windows, and so on.

So our approach was to do this:

1. Rebuild the whole backend in Rust, which offers substantial security and performance benefits πŸ™Œ
    2. Use this "core" codebase to power 1Password across every platform (even mobile ones!)
    3. Built a light front-end for each app that works for your device

This allows us to focus our efforts in a way we've never done before - somewhat akin to a restaurant committing to a single kitchen producing an appropriately-scoped menu and doing that really well.

So there are some changes in 1Password 8 that are intentional design decisions, and there are some (like the ability to re-order items) that we are planning to reintroduce to the app. It's still early in 1Password 8's lifespan, and we're going to keep the improvements coming. Ultimately we want to produce an app that meets your needs and is a joy to use, and your feedback helps us a lot with that process. Thank you for the thoughtful replies here!

• ChuckEllenbChuckEllenb
    Community Member

Peter,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm glad the product is being actively developed. If I remember correctly this isn't the first time the product was built from the ground floor "again". As I remember I had similar concerns then. Nobody likes to change however sometimes change is necessary.

Keep up the good work and keep up the security. In this world we definitely need to keep up and ahead of the bad guys.

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member

Hi @ChuckEllenb, thank you as well!

It's my pleasure to represent your concerns at the proverbial table here at 1Password. Thanks for letting us know what you feel we can do better - and I agree! - sometimes change is necessary. We'll keep giving our best to ensure that we're delivering the best possible product for you, and thinking carefully about what form that will take.

Cheers, and best regards from our team

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file