Unlock behavior with multiple accounts - Difference between v7 and v8 on Windows, not on iOS

Options
jimgarrison
jimgarrison
Community Member

If you have more than one account:

On 1P v7 on Windows unlocking the primary account unlocked all previously unlocked accounts.

On v8 on Windows, unlocking your primary account DOES NOT unlock other accounts even if they were previously unlocked.

The current iOS version behaves the way 1Pv7 behaved -- unlocking unlocks all accounts.

Is there an option to make the Windows v8 version behave the old way and unlock all accounts?

1Password Version: 8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10x64 Pro

Comments

• Hi @jimgarrison:

Great question! In short, yes, this is intentional. Generally speaking, our official recommendation is to use the same 1Password account password for all accounts you use: How to use multiple accounts

Why the change?

For a bit of backstory, we used a relatively "hacky" workaround in older versions of 1Password to allow you to use the account password for the first account added to the app. While this was definitely a handy tool to have, it came with some serious drawbacks. This tended to cause many issues where the password could be different depending on device (based on what accounts were added and what order they were added in), on top of the fact that the account password would change suddenly when that first account was removed. You can still unlock all of your accounts simultaneously using a password in 1Password 8 by using the same account password for all of them. As the passwords themselves are never transmitted over the internet in any form whatsoever, as well as each account having their own unique Secret Key, there is not a worry about password reuse.

If you'd rather stick with using two separate account passwords for each of your 1Password accounts, after each has been unlocked with their own account password, Windows Hello will be able to unlock both of them.

Let me know if that clears it up for you!

Jack

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I suppose that's an acceptable workaround.

Just to be sure, my organization account's password is unique to my login, so I should be able to change it without affecting anybody else who shares that account with me, correct?

And, while we're at it, you could mitigate the problem by allowing 1Password to look up an account password from an already-open vault while unlocking a second account. As it is now you have to copy/paste it, which feels kinda silly... 1P should be able to autofill a password in one of its own dialogs if the requisite password is available.

• Hey @jimgarrison:

Yes, that's correct. As long as you're the only individual that signs into the account with your name on it, changing your account password will not affect anyone else. That's definitely an interesting point about allowing 1Password to fill account passwords when unlocking, and I'll bring up your feedback with the team. Thanks!

Jack

• BramBE
    BramBE
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1password both privately and for work.
    For this I like to keep two passwords.

I was thinking that it would be great to have a specific sort of login that i could add to my private account, which would contain the data needed to automatically open the work account.

So when I am on my personal pc, i can open both accounts with my personal password, but when I'm on my work pc, i can only open the work account with my work password

• Hi @BramBE, thanks for this suggestion!

We have a pretty similar open feature request with our developers - what we've been calling the "daisy chain" idea. I'll append your comments here to that discussion so we can keep them in mind as our development team makes their assessments.

Thank you again - we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us! 😃

This discussion has been closed.