Stop auto-submitting forms in 1Password 8 on Mac?

_B_
_B_
Community Member

Hi 1Password community? I'm wondering if there's anyway to stop 1Password 8 on Mac from autosubmitting forms when using the Command+\ keyboard shortcut? When it works, its fancy and lovely. But I've noticed some issues, such as logging in on bestbuy.com just now, I pressed Command+\ to enter my one-time MFA code, and it did enter correctly, but on submit it also jumped to the bottom of the page, entered my email address I use for login in the newsletter subscribe box of the footer, and autosubmitted, so I'm now subscribed to their ads. While this type of behavior has been rare, it just doesn't seem worth the risk that I could accidentally expose unintended private info in a form I don't intend to. In this case, it was just my email address (to my knowledge) that the website already had ... not a big deal. But what if it had been a website that didn't have that email address? What if it had autofilled and autosubmitted my password? It just leaves no option for me to manually override. I'd feel much safer if I could turn this off.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• _B_
    _B_
    Community Member

Wondering if anyone has thoughts? Thanks!

• B:

Great question! As it currently stands, there isn't an option to disable auto-submit using ⌘+\, but I'll share your thoughts with the team.

If you use the inline menu, rather than ⌘+\ to fill, 1Password won't auto submit. Let me know if that helps!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• _B_
    _B_
    Community Member

Thanks Jack! Makes sense and its what I assumed based on my experience, I've just had my information inappropriately submitted to a newsletter sign up form on at least one occasion because the website likely uses the same form name or something for both their login and subscribe forms. Bad "form" on their part, likely, but I do feel like 1PW users shouldn't have to worry about their info inadvertently being submitted in the wrong place -- especially when that data could potentially be sensitive. I like the auto submit functionality in theory, if you can find a way to ensure under no circumstances, even bad website coding, will data be inadvertently submitted to the wrong form.

Thanks!

• Hi @"B":

You're very welcome. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future!

Jack

• jflower04
    jflower04
    Community Member

I would also love to see a preference for disabling the auto submit. For me I keep wanting to click the "remember me" checkbox, but I don't get a chance.

If someone wanted the auto submit, seems like it would be the folks using inline menu. For me and my keyboard shortcut it is so easy to hit the Enter key.

• kswisher
    kswisher
    Community Member

I also vote for a preference to disable auto submit. We used to be able to disable this. I have too many times seen auto fill screw up so like to verify that 1Pass auto filled correctly before submitting. Also, when you ARE having problems, auto submit gets in the way of troubleshooting what is going on.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback about this, excellent observations here. I'm happy to share that the option to disable autosubmit has made it to our nightly builds! 🎉

If you're already on the Nightly release channel, you can try this now. Otherwise, changing the release channel in 1Password 8's advanced settings will push through the changes once the next update is available. Hopefully we'll see this in beta and production soon after, so keep an eye out.

If you do end up trying the nightly, let me know how it goes. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and helping us make 1Password the best it can be. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.