Can I retrieve Master Password from Time Machine backup? Have tried everything else :(

Options
ladyagatha
ladyagatha
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Mac

Hello-
I received a warning from 1Password that someone had logged into my account. It was spam, but i didn't know it at the time, so I changed my Master Password. Now I have forgotten it, because where else was it stored? In 1Password. UGH. I have tried everything. Would a time machine backup on my mac work? I have read that the date is stored in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits However, I would not know how to retrieve it from there.
THANKS!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac 12.3.1 and ios 15.5
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:[Can I retrieve Master Password from Time Machine backup? Have tried everything else :(](https://1password.community/search?Search=Can I retrieve Master Password from Time Machine backup? Have tried everything else :()

Comments

• Hi @ladyagatha ,

I'm sorry for the sign in troubles you've experienced. You'll also need your account password to access 1Password when you restore your backup from Time Machine. Are you able to use biometrics (Touch or Face ID) to unlock 1Password on any of your devices? If yes, you can locate your password with the following steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password to your list of all items.
    2. Search for an item named “1Password Account (Your Name)” - putting the name of your account in place of ‘Your Name’.
    3. Click or tap ‘Reveal’ on the password field to see the password for your account. Your Secret Key is saved in the same item as well.

Let me know how everything goes.

Alvin

• ladyagatha
    ladyagatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Alvin. When I do that, oddly, it shows/reveals the OLD password. I changed that password last week and cannot remember the new one. But the method you describe only yields the password that no longer works.
    What should I do ?
    Thanks again.
    LA

• Hi @ladyagatha,

I'd suggest sending us an email at support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

It's very likely that we'll need to get you set up with a new account. Since you're currently able to access 1Password via biometrics, we can assist you with the process of creating a new account, and then copying over your data from your old to new account.

Alvin

• ladyagatha
    ladyagatha
    Community Member
    Options

thank you so much :)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ladyagatha

I've located your email and I see that you're already discussing the issue with my colleagues there. I recommend that you continue the conversation over email and I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort. 🙂

ref: QRZ-12516-136

This discussion has been closed.