Sorting in 1Password 8

Options

Is the sorting option "Date Last Used" no longer an option in 1Password 8?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

I believe you are correct. I think this has been mentioned before on the forums, but can't remember what the team plans to do about it. I'm glad you've mentioned it again. I would like to add my vote to the request for bringing this sorting option back. I used it frequently.

• Hello @asiansin and @dgbeecher ! Thanks for sharing your feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password better.

Good news, this is a popular request and it's something we're looking into. As always keep an eye on the release notes so you'll know when we've landed it.

Thanks for helping us making the app better.

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

It is such an obvious usability request that one would be derelict to exclude (imho).

• Thanks for letting us know this is a feature that matters to you, @asiansin. We do take the feedback into consideration. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#4042

• brettski
    brettski
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, sort by last used is a large miss, in addition most of the sorting options are missing from 1Password 8: website, category, frequency used, password age are ones I used often in the past. I am a bit sad about this and am now stuck on new version.

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

i haven't bothered to check if it's there in the latest update. is it not?

• Hi @asiansin, this isn't yet implemented. As always, we'll make sure to note any additions and feature improvements in the release notes of each Beta and Production version of the app.

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

"...introducing the most powerful and capable 1Password ever. "

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Please also allow sorting of search results. Sorting options for search results should be identical to sorting options for regular lists of items. Currently search results cannot be sorted at all, which to me seems crazy. 1Password’s idea of what is most relevant is rarer right, and anyway “relevance” is not how I’d wish to view search results anyway).

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

such a huge miss. :/

• Hi folks, we appreciate your feedback on this issue, and very much want to make sure that 1Password works in a way that's useful to you.

We have open feature requests for these changes with our development team, and I have cast votes on your behalf accordingly. Thanks for letting us know where you'd like to see the functionality expanded.

ref: IDEA-I-922
    ref: IDEA-I-316

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Peter. Not to split hairs, but this was really a request to retain existing functionality and experience of the app, versus actual expansion of functionality.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I agree. Odd to call this an “expansion” or “addition” or “feature improvement” (as it’s been called above), when really it’s something that went missing and that we wish would come back. In any case, I’m glad our feedback is somewhere in the system.

• 6awfpa3i
    6awfpa3i
    Community Member
    Options

I hope this comment can come to 1Password Team. 1P v8 supports sorting as Title. With these items have the same title, please using username to sort them. I think it's an valuable feature.

• lucasd
    lucasd
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for sorting options. For years, I have relied on sorting 1p search results by date modified and date created. Now, I have to click through many results trying to memorize their dates in order to find what I'm looking for. I'm glad to hear this is being considered.

(Also, a historical note: I still haven't gotten over the removal of sorting options from the browser extension. The functionality existed there many years ago--perhaps over a decade ago--but sadly was removed.)

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi folks, we appreciate the feedback here, and I'm making sure to track your votes. We're listening!

@asiansin @dgbeecher: I can appreciate that perspective, but from an engineering standpoint, 1Password 8 is an entirely new app. So everything had to be done from scratch, and anything that's not currently in the app needs to be added to it - it can't be carried over from 1Password 7. I'm not trying to be suave about the phrasing, rather to speak accurately about the mechanics of what making a given change means: we can't put a feature back because everything in 1Password 8 is new. But we can build anew (and quite possibly better)!

With that said, one of the most rewarding aspects of this work is sourcing feedback to find out what folks need - whether it's something entirely new, or something that was in (a particular platform version of) 1Password 7 which hasn't made it into version 8 yet. I'm happy to advocate on your behalf, especially for this issue. And I hope what we've got coming down the pipeline will delight you. 👍

• dmacaz
    dmacaz
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my vote for sorted results in 1Password 8.

I'm running 8.7.1 on my Mac and I literally can't tell what order the result set is in. It's not by use, or by last changed, or alphabetically.

The sort order is important and being able to control it is a key usability feature I hope is a high priority.

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

For each of us to taking the time to weigh in on this I wonder about the actual number of dissatisfied users.

• lucasd
    lucasd
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any recommended workaround in the meantime? Can I export to a CSV to sort by date modified and date created? Or can I downgrade to the previous version?

• Hi @lucasd / @asiansin / @dmacaz:

I have some good news for all of you. It's now possible to sort by recently used and frequently used when viewing the item list. It still currently isn't possible to change the sort of the search suggestions or search results list, but I'll share your feedback with the team as we continue to iterate here.

Thanks for your patience!

Jack

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jack. Seems to be working well on the latest update. I appreciate this improvement!

• asiansin
    asiansin
    Community Member
    Options

thanks!! excited for this and for search results sorting at a future date.

• lucasd
    lucasd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update! In my case, I have the need to sort search results, but I've solved my issue for now by switching back to Version 7 (Windows). I have my fingers crossed that Version 7 will continue to be supported at least until similar functionality is available in Version 8. Thanks again.

• Glad to hear you're enjoying it @dgbeecher / @asiansin!

I'll share your thoughts with the team @lucasd.

Jack

• flybynight27
    flybynight27
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to change the sort order of find results?

• axel23
    axel23
    Community Member
    Options

I beg you to return the sorting by website as in the previous version

• JRom
    JRom
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Dear 1Password team members: I would also be grateful if the ability to sort within a search scope, by at least "date created" and "date modified", could be re-added as a feature please. This capability from 1Password v7 is greatly missed from v8.

• lucasd
    lucasd
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to now be possible in V8?! I am using Beta for Windows, so I don't know if it's also in non-beta. I don't know where it's documented, but it works. Many thanks!

This discussion has been closed.