"Terrible" password label

wfolta
wfolta
Community Member

I've mentioned this a while ago, but 1Password's impression of password security seems a bit odd. But then again, maybe the definition has changed over time. For example, I have an older password that 1Password generated a while ago that's 10 random characters (upper, lower, numeric, punctuation) and it's rated "Terrible" and called "Too easy to guess". On most things now-a-days, I'm using 20+ characters but is 10 characters that guessable?

It may be that the definition has gotten stricter and I'm just thinking of a prior bug where very similar (random) passwords would be ranked quite differently by the "Good/Terrible" ranker.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.4

Comments

• Hi @wfolta:

By any chance have you edited that password manually after it was generated by 1Password? We can only accurately determine the strength of a password if it's generated by 1Password. Once it's been manually edited, it's harder to tell the true password strength, so the 1Password apps tend to be a bit conservative on how strong it actually is.

Jack

• wfolta
    wfolta
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

I can't remember, but I don't think so. It has numeric, upper and lower alpha, punctuation, and is 10 chars long so I don't think I hand-generated it or edited it after the fact. (Once or twice in history I have edited such a thing because a particular punctuation character 1Password generated wasn't allowed by the service in a password, so it's possible I changed one punctuation to another or deleted a punctuation, but it looks pretty random to me.)

• Hey @wfolta:

Thanks for confirming. If you'd like we can definitely take a closer look at what could be causing the terrible password strength. The best way would be for you to reach out to us via email at support+forum@1password.com, and include a link to this thread, and your username wfolta. You'll receive a message from BitBot with a support ID that looks a bit like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your email and connect the dots.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.