How to "Search Everything" in 1Password 8?

Options
coopr
coopr
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Mac

I used to be able to search everything in 1Password 7 - now that I've upgraded to 1P8, I can't figure out how to search everything.

Any tips?

(And just to clarify, I can confirm that searching is not searching everything, because I can see content in my 1Password items that searching fails to find)

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to "Search Everything" in 1Password8?

Comments

• madkins
    madkins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi coopr, you might be (kind of) in luck. When using the new search bar, you need to hit Command+Return to search across everything rather than just have it list a handful of suggested matches below the search box.
    I want to highlight to the 1P team that, while the possibility of more quickly accessing the first match could be useful, it is largely disruptive and slows down the search process.
    I understand that this behavior has been more popular for "command-driven" utilities like Raycast, but it doesn't translate well to searching a list of content.

Also coopr, if that wasn't your issue, you might try confirming if you've selected a specific vault or account in the sidebar. I do that all the time and have to remember to jump back to "All Items".

• d_stone
    d_stone
    Community Member
    Options

Why has this become so complicated? :-( I agree that the new search process is much more complicated. – Is it possible to restore the old search behavior?

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @madkins - your suggestion is helpful!

And yes I agree @d_stone - I'd much prefer to have search always default to searching everything, without me having to remember to use special key combinations.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The new search has another big problem. It doesn‘t support searching for partial words/substrings. Whatever so search for can only be found at the beginning of a word. This alone makes search completely useless for me. AgileBits added another option for this kind of search and called it find. It‘s only available via shortcut or menu.

• MatthewTaylor
    MatthewTaylor
    Community Member
    Options

I came to support looking specifically to give feedback on search. Typing should act like a live filter and not require an additional click.
    I do some UI design as part of my work and it drives me nuts when a UI gets redesigned and quick common actions now require extra clicks or looking through menus.
    I have well over a thousand entries thanks to dev work. I treat titles as keywords. If I search "google accounts" I want to see all of my google accounts, not just the first one.
    I don't mind the new style or using Electron. I do mind having to slow down and look for the options that used to be defaults.

• Hi @coopr / @MatthewTaylor / @dstone / @madkins:

Thanks for your feedback on this. While I can't promise anything specifically, I'll share your thoughts with the team.

Jack

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member
    Options

Uh oh - more problems with searching everything:

When searching for something that is within a longer word or string, 1Password will find it only if the search query is at the start of the string.

For example, if you search for "12345", and you have only "abc12345" in your items, 1Password will NOT find that item.

If you have "12345abc" in your items, 1Password WILL find that item.

Here is specifically why this is a problem: Credit card numbers are often represented, at e-commerce merchants, by only their last 4 digits. I have a bunch of cards, and recently I've had to change some (pesky credit card hackers!). When I visit an e-commerce site, is says my stored payment ends in 1234 - but when I search 1Password for that string, it brings up no results, despite the fact that there is a credit card stored in 1Password that ends in 1234!

(I'm not sure how this used to work in older versions - but I know how I'd like it to work ;)

• MatthewTaylor
    MatthewTaylor
    Community Member
    Options

Me too. Search feels fundamentally broken.
    I switch between 2 macs with a kvm switch as I work. One has V8.7 installed, the other V7.9. The old version has substring search and it works as you type. For one client I have a few entries for things like devshopv2 and liveshopv2. To find those I just type shopv2. They are both super easy to find on V7 and do not come up at all in V8. No results as I type, and nothing when I ask it to give me all the results. I'm not looking for fuzzy search that can handle phonetics or misspellings. Searching based on substring(not just first letters) feels like table stakes.

The new search just isn't very good. And they way I'm organized is based on using 1P for years. Whatever engine the new search is based on is not good at all. None of my clients would put up with a search that works that way on a website.

On my new mac I'm going to try downloading and installing V7. If it runs I'll use that as long as it's functional or V8 gets fixed.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I‘ve reported the missing substring/partial words search in September 2021. The only thing AgileBits did. was adding the well hidden find function with its awkward placing. 1PW8 still has many problems but search is a show stopper for me.

• bryanmanwaring
    bryanmanwaring
    Community Member
    Options

This is the same issue I have run into over and over and over. I remember part of the name, but it doesn't always start with it. My assumption is it searched everything, but instead is only searching the first part of the name. Completely non-intuitive to me.

• Hi @coopr @matthewtaylor @viswiz @bryanmanwaring 👋

We have recently redone how 1Password 8 handles substring matching! If you update to the latest Nightly release, you'll be able to take advantage of that new search behavior. Our plan is for this to come to Beta and Production updates as well, but it's going to need to go through some testing on the way there. In the meantime, if you'd like to get an early peek at this, Nightly is the way to go. I'll be eager to learn what you think!

• bryanmanwaring
    bryanmanwaring
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried it on the Mac app and honestly it matched what I was searching for. That's so much better!

• Excellent - and thank you for checking it out, @bryanmanwaring! 🙌

• dozy
    dozy
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P are you applying this also to 1Password 8 for iOS?
    This is certainly a basic feature that should have always been there since the first moment.
    I can't count how much time I've spent already just looking for passwords that I thought were lost because simply I couldn't find the items via the search bar. Please fix this in all your platforms.

• Thanks for the feedback here, @dozy.

Search was implemented a bit differently in 1Password 8, partly in order to make it work better for folks who are using languages other than English. But I can understand why the recent change to substring handling would be useful, and it's one I've advocated for on behalf of customers. And now the first implementation is here!

One of the advantageous things about 1Password 8 is that all the apps on each platform are now built from a common "core" codebase, which means we have the ability to roll out fixes and improvements across every operating system at once. The search function is part of that core, so I'd expect that when this gets updated in Beta and Production, it will get updated everywhere simultaneously.

This discussion has been closed.