Disable a hotkey (ctrl + ') or defer in certain environments

Options
Nixxen
Nixxen
Community Member

Sometime in the past few weeks, a hotkey has been introduced that overrides hotkeys in other applications.
I use <ctrl + '> (' being the key next enter on my keyboard layout) to comment out lines of code in VSCode and Jetbrains IDEs, but this hotkey is now hijacked by 1Password.
I am unable to find it in the hotkey list of 1password, but whenever I press it, it opens up the "lock screen" for 1Password, and asks me to unlock it. After I have unlocked it, it fills in the username and password on whichever relevant page I am on (in the IDE it tabs away from the IDE and fills in the login information of whichever page I have up, so if I try pressing it while having 1password community open, it replaces the title of this post with my login name).

As I mentioned, this hotkey is not listed in the shortcut hotkey list within 1Password, so I am not sure how this is even possible. I have not been able to find any way to disable this within the 1password settings. Currently, it is severely hindering my workflow, to the extent that I have to close 1password whenever I code, then re-open it whenever I need to log in to any webpage.

Any tips on how to get rid of this hotkey would be much appreciated. Even just having 1password not trigger on hotkeys while inside of an IDE would be an improvement. I'd rather just have 1password running all the time, and not have to micromanage it.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows

Comments

• Hello @Nixxen, sorry for the delay in response and for the troubles you've been encountering with Ctrl + '.

I've tested the shortcut you've mentioned, but I am not getting any results and this shortcut is not listed as an available hotkey in our 1Password keyboard shortcuts.

Based on the type of activity you are seeing when pressed, it sounds like either the Show 1Password or Autofill shortcuts are activating. Can you try temporarily disabling these shortcuts by clearing them in the 1Password 8 for Windows Settings Ctrl + Comma and then completely closing and relaunching 1Password? Do you still see this behaviour afterwards?

Also, if you right-click the 1Password icon in your browser > Settings and scroll to Shortcuts, do you see anything listed there?

• Nixxen
    Nixxen
    Community Member
    Options

Autofill in the main settings was the culprit. There were no shortcuts in the extension as far as I could see. When I open the shortcuts window in the main 1Password window (the "circled ?"-> Keyboard shortcuts show the shortcuts you have in the image, but they do not reflect the localized shortcuts.

When I disabled the Autofill it fixed the issue and it no longer hijacks other programs' shortcuts.

• Hello again @Nixxen, I'm glad you found the culprit! Does changing this shortcut back to the default Ctrl + \ or another unused shortcut leave the situation resolved or does the previous issue start up again?

• Nixxen
    Nixxen
    Community Member
    Options

The default for my layout was CTRL + ', but the keyboard shortcuts accessible from the main window "?" button still displayed the CTRL+\ , even after unbinding it.
    Setting it back to the default for my layout, CTRL + '(same physical key combination as CTRL + \, but Nordic layout), reintroduced the issue when I last tested it.
    I don't mind having the shortcut disabled though, since I use shortcuts in IDEs more often than I use shortcuts for 1password.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @Nixxen, thank you for sharing the details on this issue. We'll get it reported to our developers to see what we can do about this. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

ref: dev/core/core#15638

• Nixxen
    Nixxen
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if something has changed recently or not, but I installed VSCode on my home computer (previously the problem was on my study laptop, but due to external circumstances I've had to start working on the home computer instead).
    My shortcut for "Show 1password" is cleared out, but still, 1password blocks the CTRL + ' hotkey from being input into VSCode. Nothing happens in 1password (as expected since the hotkey is disabled there).
    When I close 1password (completely exit from right-click, Quit) VSCode is again able to use the CTRL + ' hotkey.

I have yet to test this on the study laptop since it is currently unavailable for me.

• Hello @Nixxon,

With regard to the unbound "Show 1Password" shortcut and the fact that closing 1Password completely restores the Ctrl + ' shortcut functionality in VSCode is quite odd. Can you confirm if the "Autofill" shortcut is currently active and with which shortcut keys? Does disabling this shortcut and restarting 1Password make any difference with this behaviour? A screenshot of your settings screen and the current shortcut settings would be helpful for reporting these additional troubles to the team. When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information.

When you have a chance, can you please check that both devices are using the most up-to-date version of 1Password 8 and let us know if this behaviour also appears on your study laptop, or isolated to only your home computer. Thanks!

• Nixxen
    Nixxen
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

The autofill was set to Ctrl + / which on my keyboard layout translates to Ctrl + Shift + 7 (Shift + 7 being the combination to reach /).

I tried unbinding autofill and VSCodes Ctrl + ' started working again, despite autofill originally being set to Ctrl + / in the keybindings settings in 1password and not Ctrl + '.

Binding 1passwords autofill to Ctrl + ' again blocked out VSCodes keybinding for commenting out code.

Seems like the default installations keybinding is a bit confused when you have a non-US keyboard layout. Trying to set the keybinding back to Ctrl + / resulted in 1password showing Ctrl + Shift + 7, as I would expect.

Despite the keybinding being cleared, when you show the keyboard shortcuts information from the feedback(?) in the main window, you get the original US layout shortcuts.

Since I can not set my keybinding back to Ctrl + / I can't test it on the laptop, (unless I install a US language layout).

• Hello again @Nixxen, thanks for the update and sending along these screenshots. Improvements are continuing to be made and I have included these details in the internal issue we have open with our development team. I don't have any additional news to share at this time, but we'll be in touch when we do.

Thanks for patience and have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.