MacOS Proxy Issue

This discussion was created from comments split from: iPassword 8 - error signing in when using proxy.

Comments

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member

Same issue here.
    If I am not logged in to my work VPN, I can log in and synch works.
    As soon as I am connected to my VPN it stops synching and if I force a logout/login, I can't log back in anymore.

In the log I find these errors entries (just starting 1password already logged in):
    ERROR 2022-07-05T13:28:16.460 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/lib.rs:245] proxy test network connection failed: error sending request for url (): error trying to connect: tls handshake eof
    INFO 2022-07-05T13:28:16.460 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/apple.rs:329] skipping proxy returned by PAC since we couldn't connect to it: Network(Network(error sending request for url (): error trying to connect: tls handshake eof))

Interestingly launching from the terminal with no proxy variables has the same outcome.
    However if I set manually https_proxy to what my work PAC would return, it works.

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member

Duh I am on macos 11.6.7 1password 8.8.0 (80800176)

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member

BTW I believe the user feedback related to networking issues is REALLY BAD.
    There 2 manifestations: at login time, at startup/sync time.
    1/ Login
    There is a catch all error handler for any failure to login that displays an error message that may push users to believe they have entered the wrong login info even though it is an network related issue.

My suggestion is to have an error handling that differentiates environmental issues vs user errors and provides different error message very clear on what the user can do to remediate/troubleshoot.
    5-6months ago, I just abandonned upgrading to 8beta because I did not have the time to troubleshoot this. Had I known it was not an account version compatibility issues (I had other v7 clients), I would have done the troubleshooting I did this time (my previous messages).

2/ Startup/Sync time
    I find very surprising that any network issues encountered during synchronization is not reported by the client app (at least I have not found one on firefox/chrome/macos/ios). I believe hidden failures like that leads the users to start doubting the product. Plus it sometimes leads to more serious issues: I locked myself out of my bank because I tried too many times to log in with out-of-date creds after a password reset on another device.
    So we need visible error status and ways to recover it:
    a. Clear but non intrusive error message when the sync is not successful (maybe a badge somewhere that indicates it is failing).
    b. A way to force sync that will display an explicit error message to help troubleshoot (click on the badge? ).

In addition it would be great to have a way to see the synchronization state of all account/personal devices. You can track what data revisions each client have last pulled, show if the current device/app has unsynched modifications and show the ones that are out-of-date. This would make troubleshooting where the sync failure occurs much easier: i.e. answering which device/app is not synching:

• is it the one I made an update on?
    • is it the other one I am trying to use the update on?

Jacques

• ArcticCascade
    ArcticCascade
    Community Member

I can't believe they're up to version 8.8 and this is still an issue.
    As the IT Manager at my workplace, I can see the traffic logs through our proxy. No traffic is logged while 1Password 8 is attempting to sign in.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

This is still broken, I see the errors for it:

ERROR 2022-10-17T17:01:16.059 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/lib.rs:245] proxy test network connection failed: error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): operation timed out
    INFO  2022-10-17T17:01:16.059 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/apple.rs:329] skipping proxy returned by PAC since we couldn't connect to it: Network(Network(error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): operation timed out))

If I disconnect from VPN (where proxy is required) it works perfectly. I can easily download the PAC file using curl or wget, our proxies don't even require authentication. It is just that 1P fails to even try to work with a proxy. If I manually route the traffic for 1P through a proxy using Proxifier it works perfectly, so it is clearly that 1P fails to even support detecting proxies from system settings.

• Hi all. We've made some progress in dealing with proxies during the authentication process, so if you could try the latest Nightly version of 1Password to see what happens, that would be a huge help.

Switch to the Nightly version by opening 1Password's Preferences > Advanced > Release channel: Nightly.

Please let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

• kirklund
    kirklund
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P I just tried using 1Password for Mac 8.9.10 with Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 4.10.05111. It still fails when the VPN is connected. I'm happy to retry and provide logs anytime.

ERROR 2022-11-16T09:36:35.432 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/lib.rs:255] proxy test network connection failed: error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): operation timed out
    INFO  2022-11-16T09:36:35.433 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/apple.rs:348] skipping proxy returned by PAC since we couldn't connect to it: Network(Network(error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): operation timed out))

• mxw
    mxw
    Community Member

As of NIGHTLY channel release 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007019) this is now fixed for me.

I use automatic proxy configuration using PAC file URL within the system settings.

In the log files, I now see "selected HTTP proxy to use" rather than "skipping proxy returned by PAC since we couldn't connect to it"

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023

@mxw

We have indeed included improvements to proxy support in the latest nightly version of 1Password for Mac, thank you for letting us know that the improvements helped in your situation. 🎉

If testing in the nightly goes well we'll roll out the improvements to the production version as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15728

• hstenzel
    hstenzel
    Community Member

Is this fixed in production now? I see the Production channel of 1Password for Mac is above the success reported above yet I'm still experiencing problems with 1Password 8 and proxy.

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

--Harley

• @hstenzel

We're still testing the fix in the nightly version of 1Password for Mac. If you're willing to help us test to see if the changes made will resolve the proxy issue in your case then you can switch to the nightly by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on Advanced.
    5. Switch the release channel to "Nightly".
    6. Click on About.
    7. Click on Check for Updates.

Once the update is complete and you've restarted the 1Password app let me know if you still see the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• hstenzel
    hstenzel
    Community Member
    edited November 2023

UPDATE: It is working as of 1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036)

However, be warned that the automatic update is also broken by the proxy issue. Furthermore, it said that there was no update, not that it could not check for an update.

I'm still seeing problems with 1Password 8 related to proxies. Is there an update on this issue?

1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041)

Thank you

• @hstenzel

I'm happy to hear that everything is working again, thanks for confirming. I believe that the updater should work normally going forward but please let me know if that doesn't happen. 🙂

-Dave