No option to allow windows hello to unlock 1password

yweaver
yweaver
Community Member

I have just upgraded to windows 11 , and now there is no option under security settings to "Allow Windows Hello to unlock 1Password". It was working fine in Windows 10 on both chrome and Edge. What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• yweaver
    yweaver
    Community Member

And it is the latest version 2.3.6

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2022

Hello @yweaver, thank for your message and I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are seeing with Windows Hello after the upgrade to Windows 11.

And it is the latest version 2.3.6

Here you are referring to the 1Password in the browser browser extension. The option to Unlock using Windows Hello appears in the Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Security page of the 1Password 8 for Windows desktop app. Do you currently have the desktop app installed and is that option appearing there?

This Windows Hello feature is handled by the desktop app and will unlock 1Password in the browser when app integration is enabled:
    1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    2. Scroll to the General heading, and then enable Integrate with 1Password app as needed.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have further troubles or you're not seeing this option in the desktop app. Thanks!

• yweaver
    yweaver
    Community Member

Perfect. That worked. Is the desktop app only for that purpose? What else is it good for?

• Hey @yweaver, I'm glad to hear that worked for you!

1Password for Windows (desktop app) when used in tandem with 1Password in your browser provides a more complete experience with editing items, adding tags, viewing Watchtower suggestions, and doing most of what you would otherwise require 1Password.com for. 1Password for Windows also gives you access to additional features such as Windows Hello, Quick Access, and Collections.

To learn more about what you can do with the desktop app, I would recommend checking out this guide: Get to know 1Password for Windows

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ali

• lgardiner5
    lgardiner5
    Community Member

I seem to be having an issue with the connection between the app and the browser extension for Opera. I simply cannot use Windows Hello with the browser version, but I can with the app. Very irritating.

• Hello @lgardiner5, I've left a comment here in a related post. Would you mind taking look and providing the details as necessary? Thanks!

• lgardiner5
    lgardiner5
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d, I can confirm that both are up to date.

• Thanks, @lgardiner5! Let's continue with the thread here, to keep the conversation in one place. Thanks!

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

I recently update to the 8.8.0 version of the Windows app, but don't have the 1Password browser extension installed (because of interaction/confusion with the Chrome UserID/Password Autofill feature).

I have the option to Unlock using Windows Hello enabled, but with the update I have to enter my full 1Password Password to log in every time. I want the security of requiring logging in via Windows Hello, but having to do it frequently now gets pretty annoying.

• lgardiner5
    lgardiner5
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d I have precisely the same issue as @Vicw. Everything is up to date and there is nothing obvious which could be causing it

• Hello @Vicw,

Thanks for your message. To confirm, it sounds like Windows Hello is not prompting you at all when launching/signing into the 1Password 8 for Windows desktop app itself?

If this is the case, can you send a 1Password diagnostics report via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate? Please do not post these details in the forums.

If you could also include a link to your thread along with your forum handle, this will be helpful when we see your report in our inbox. Thanks!

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_mike_d for your help. Until now, I've not been using the browser extension for 1 Password, because I didn't like the interaction and confusion that it creates with the Google UserID/Password Autofill feature. Utilization of the Microsoft Hello feature for opening 1Password had not been a problem for me, until I updated Windows 1Password, to V 8.8.0, as I described in my previous post.

Yesterday, I activated the 1Password Extension, in order to alleviate the problem. It has sort of resolved it, but operation seems erratic. When I open 1Password after expiration of the 10 minute timer, it sometimes initially just shows the request for me to input the password.

If I then exit 1Password, and open it again, it then shows the invitation to use my fingerprint to open the app via Windows Hello. Other times, I think I'm seeing 1Password stay available for opening without entering any password, well after the 10 minutes has expired.

It's all a bit confusing, but I would like to know if it is actually necessary to have the 1Password browser extension active, in order to utilize Microsoft Hello access to 1Password 8.8.0. If that is now a requirement, I will continue to keep it active, but that would be a disappointment, since it was not required previously.

I will also send the diagnostic report as you suggested.

• Hi @Vicw, thanks for your message. We'll take a look and get a reply out shortly.

ref: VWR-29331-576

This discussion has been closed.