Popup search window can't detect website address or fill in forms in Chrome without an alert

mhl
mhl
Community Member

Hello,

It seems that after an upgrade a few days ago, 1Password in my Google Chrome keeps having problems communicating with the browser. I have auto-fill prompts disabled in extension's settings (I just prefer it this way), and I used to be able to hit a shortcut that brings up 1Password's search window - and it would already show a list of logins matching my current website. I would then select one of these logins, hit enter and it would be filled in and submitted, so it was basically two-three clicks end-to-end.

Now it keeps having issues on every step:

• when I hit a shortcut to bring up the search window - that window comes up with no results in it, as it can't understand what page it was called from;
  • if I type in my search and find the right login in that window, and then hit enter to fill it – 1Password displays an error saying "1Password can't verify that Google Chrome should have access to this item"
  • I choose "Fill it once" in that prompt - and sometimes it works and fills the form, but sometimes it doesn't do anything, or it may even fill only part of the form etc.

If I enable auto-fill prompts for the forms - it seems to work correctly, displaying correct login prompts on the forms. But I find it messy and it gets in the way of me working with the pages, so I really dislike it and I would prefer to not use it.

Also, in Firefox on the same machine with auto-fill prompts disabled everything is working perfectly – search window comes up with correct pre-selected results, forms are filled reliably with no alerts, etc. So it seems that only Google Chrome has this problem.

So far I have tried:

• uninstalling 1Password and 1Password Chrome extension;
  • rebooting my computer to clean up any pending services;
  • reinstalling 1Password and extension;
  • removing and reinstalling Google Chrome;

but this only put me back to where I started – looking at the same issues again. I had this search functionality behaving quite unreliably in 1Password 8 even before the last upgrade - it would often come up empty etc, and it was never an issue in 1Password 7. But at least it wasn't throwing browser alerts before, so now it just got worse.

Any advice from 1Password team please?

1Password Version: 80800165
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Chrome 103.0.5060.53

Comments

• Hey @mhl:

Thanks for letting us know about this. This something we're investigating, and hope to know more soon.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#16096

• aberfeldy
    aberfeldy
    Community Member

just to +1 this issue, got it myself. started around a week ago.
    clicking "fill & update login" makes it even worse, because it will then fill in only this account in all the websites.
    attached a screenshot of the popup.

• Hi @aberfeldy:

Thanks for adding your feedback. As I mentioned above, this is something we're aware of.

Jack

• BitBat
    BitBat
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P would you have an update on this? I have the same issue, except for Firefox. I don't have Chrome installed.
    Interestingly, on my second laptop, I have both Firefox and Chrome installed and it works in Firefox just fine (haven't tried Chrome).

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.