Adding MFA with QR Code on mobile device

jkane001
jkane001
Community Member

When trying to add MFA on the Android app, I have the option to scan a QR Code. But if the site I'm adding is on the same device, I obviously cannot scan the live QR Code.

It would be great if I could "scan" an image, picking a saved image from my device. Then I could just screenshot the QR Code, and use that in 1Pass app

Comments

• Hello @jkane001, thanks for sharing this feedback with us!

I think this is a really interesting idea but I'm not sure if it would be any more efficient than copying and pasting the 2FA setup code into a one-time password field. When setting up 2FA for an account, there is typically a code available in addition to the QR. This code can be pasted into the one-time password field of your item and when saved, will generate the TOTPs.

Have you found this process inefficient or run into any situation where copying the code didn't work as expected? Thanks again, I'm curious to hear more about the use case for such a feature!

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

I've run into many occasions where the site simply does not offer a code to copy. It's the QR Code, or nothing.

• Fair point @jkane001, thanks for adding to the use case here! I actually just ran into a 2FA code that worked, but the spaces had to be manually removed from the code before it would generate TOTPs. In that situation, I would have enjoyed being able to scan from a QR screenshot. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've shared this feature suggestion with the team. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.