Support Arc Browser integration with 1Password 8

I'm using the new Arc Browser from the Browser Company (https://thebrowser.company/), which runs on Chromium. It works perfectly but as of now it doesn't seem to by syncing with the desktop app, so I need to always type in my master password instead of being prompted for TouchID, which gets annoying. Any chance there's something you can do on your end to make this work? Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: Mac OS 12.2.1

Comments

• Hi @osdiab:

Thanks for asking! Arc is actually a supported browser, however it's currently limited to integrating with the beta or nightly release of 1Password 8 for Mac. If you'd like to give the beta releases a try so you can use 1Password and Arc together, follow the instructions here: Use 1Password beta releases

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• aaronmeder
    aaronmeder
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P

is there a rough ETA on when Arc is expected to be officially supported in the normal stable release of 1Password?

• @aaronmeder

No, none that I am immediately aware of. Sorry.

• degausser
    degausser
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Any chance of updating the Chrome extension for the desktop app to work with Arc? Right now it states it "can't verify the identity of your web browser." (Last update appears to have been January 2021.)

Side note: 1Password's instruction video on that extension's info page shows up as Private and can't be viewed.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022

@degausser

Thanks. I'll ping someone on the team to check that video out. Please note that video is for the classic extension. Was 1Password in the browser the one you were looking for?

As to the first question I'll have to ask. Sorry, I am not personally familiar with how the two work together. I suspect no, because with 1Password 8 we've completed the move to memberships only. Sorry, I don't seem to come with good news. 1Password 7 and the classic extension are no longer receiving updates. Only important updates will go out.

• degausser
    degausser
    Community Member

@ag_tommy
    I don't think the 1Password in the Browser extension will work with a local vault, so the "1Password Classic" extension is the only one that will work in this instance. And yes, the video should be for the Classic extension.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022

@degausser

You are correct 1Password in the browser does not support local vaults.

• degausser
    degausser
    Community Member

@ag_tommy
    I see your edits to your first reply now. Bummer. Not the reply I was hoping for, but understandable. Thank you for looking into it.

• Sorry about that I had hoped I would get them done before the outgoing email was sent. Dare I say that this old man was a tad slow. 🙃

• maxtheperson
    maxtheperson
    Community Member

Wondering if/when the 1password extension will get upated to stop saying arc is an unconfirmed 3rd browser

• maxtheperson
    maxtheperson
    Community Member

nevermind i think i just needed to update and restart arc

• ericmasiello
    ericmasiello
    Community Member

When I use the 1Password Beta Extension on Arc, and I click on the plugin, it briefly pops open a window that says "Syncing" and never seems to complete. Any ideas?

• Hey @ericmasiello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser. Can you start by giving your computer a complete restart for me and let me know if it improves things? If not, please send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• nolanhausler
    nolanhausler
    Community Member

@steph.giles I seem to be having the same issue with endless "syncing." I tried the steps above but the issue isn't resolved. What do you recommend? thanks!

• Hey @nolanhausler,

I'm sorry for the syncing issue you have been experiencing, can you follow the above steps and email us some logs so we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong?

Thank you!

• marceldarvas
    marceldarvas
    Community Member

Hi @steph.giles

I also have experienced an issue when using the Arc Browser, I sent in my diagnostics as suggested above, you can find those under [#CFH-82735-521]

Particularly where I was getting an "Unable to Save" is when I tried "Updating" an existing 1P item with my "Sign in with" credentials.

• Hi @marceldarvas , thanks for reaching out! I located your ticket and it appears that my colleague, Josh, has reached out. Did you receive their message?

ref: CFH-82735-521

• happiehappie
    happiehappie
    Community Member

Any ETA on when will this be released officially?

• Hey @happiehappie,

You should be able to use 1Password in Arc browser with the latest stable versions of 1Password.

Can you give it a try and let me know how you get on?

• cbseven
    cbseven
    Community Member

@steph.giles - I just went through the process of uninstalling the 1Password beta and installing the latest stable release plus the extension. All works as expected in Arc Version 0.112.0 (40064).

• Thanks for the update @cbsteven.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• cbseven
    cbseven
    Community Member

@steph.giles - actually, there seems to be a small behavior change between the 1Password beta and the latest stable release. With the beta, I was seeing the 1Password icon in my authentication fields, and if my 1Password vault was locked, I could click this icon to initiate the unlocking process. Now with the stable release, I'm prompted instead to click the toolbar icon to unlock my vault. In Arc, there is no toolbar icon, but I can achieve the same result by selecting 1Password from the Extensions menu.

Is this an intentional behavior change?

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023

@cbseven

If you press Command + E in Arc and then on the upper right-hand side click the 1Password icon does that help? Whoops looks like you're already there. Sorry about that.

• cbseven
    cbseven
    Community Member

@ag_tommy - thanks for that tip - CMD-E doesn't work for me, but the "..." icon is there and seems to be another route to my goal.

• Hey @cbseven,

If you are seeing a message that says 'Press the 1Password icon in your browsers toolbar to unlock' this could be a sign that it is having a hard time connecting to your 1Password app. If you open and unlock your 1Password app and then open your Arc browser, is 1Password unlocked here?

• kocolosk
    kocolosk
    Community Member

Hi, I'm having a similar experience as @cbseven here.

Arc 1.1.1
    1Password 8.10.9
    1Password Extension 2.13.0

I open and unlock the 1P app, and then open Arc. "Press the 1Password icon in your browsers toolbar to unlock" appears in the authentication field. If I do press the icon in the extensions area I need to use my password to unlock (no TouchID option).

1Password's BrowserSupport logs folder is filled with messages of the form

INFO  2023-07-31T15:19:33.574 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:165] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport 8.10.9 production build no. 81009046.
    INFO  2023-07-31T15:19:33.585 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:13] Verifying browser "file:/Users/$USER/Applications/Arc.app/Contents/MacOS/Arc"
    ERROR 2023-07-31T15:19:33.586 main(ThreadId(1)) [swift] ProcessValidation.swift:92: codeSignature(for:) Failed to grab code signature for 3813 - status 100001
    WARN  2023-07-31T15:19:33.586 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:31] Browser verification error: BrowserVerificationFail
    ERROR 2023-07-31T15:19:33.590 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:197] Browser support error: BrowserVerificationFail, happened in: native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:34
        Additional error context: Browser process validation failed

• Hey @kocolosk,

Thank you for sharing this, I'm sorry for the disruption.

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you.

• kocolosk
    kocolosk
    Community Member

Alright, BitBot gave me the following support ID: [#UNF-71936-248]

Thanks for taking a look.

• cbseven
    cbseven
    Community Member

@steph.giles - I recently had a chance to use the beta browser extension with Arc again and was really impressed with the user experience when my 1Password vault is locked. In short, whenever I need to enter credentials, I can see the 1Password icon in the credential field and when I click on it, I'm immediately given the opportunity to unlock my vault (in this case, using the fingerprint sensor on my Mac). I authenticate and then select the appropriate credential from the menu and I'm done!

The experience with the shipping version of the 1Password browser extension is less seamless. I navigate to a page where I need to enter credentials and I can see the 1Password icon in the field with a message that says I need to find the 1Password extension in my toolbar and unlock my vault. Once I find the extension (three dots menu upper right) and select the 1Password extension, I get a new 1Password window where I need to select the password field and enter my master password (also of note: no option to auth with Apple Watch like I can with the beta). Once that process is done, I select the original window where I was attempting to authenticate, click in the auth field and can now select the appropriate credential from the menu. In short - it's a much more tedious process.

Is my experience with the shipping version of the 1Password extension the expected behavior? If not, what am I doing wrong?

I'd be happy to make a video of my experience or provide any other information as necessary.

• Hey @cbseven,

The behaviour you are describing with the stable version of 1Password in your browser sounds like it is having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs here and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you in advance.

This discussion has been closed.