Clearing Memory Secrets: Auto-Lock vs Manual Lock?

acew19
acew19
Community Member

I've been looking at 1Password for a while, on and off, now I'm back on it, ready to get going w/ 1P.

I'm interested in iOS and Windows platforms.

I first looked at 1P back in early 2020, and ran across the system memory security issue that was fixed in March 2020 w/ V 7.4.750.

By the way: reading the AgileBits employee contributions to discussions of that issue (and other issues) gave me great confidence in your company and 1Password.

1) Auto-Lock vs Manual Lock?

a) As far as clearing secrets from memory is concerned: is Auto-Lock equal to Manual (via Settings > Security > Lock Now)? With the only difference being that Manual requires entering my Master Password to unlock later?

In normal daily usage on my iPhone, I'd like to use Auto-Lock to lock and Face ID to unlock.

b) Same behavior for V7 and V8 in this regard?

2) V7 on iOS + V8 on Windows?

It looks like the Windows version is officially on V8, while the iOS version is officially on V7, with pre-release V8 available.

Can I work w/ my account on V8 on Windows and V7 on iOS? All works well?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.5, Win 10 Pro 21H1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• acew19
    acew19
    Community Member

Hi, I submitted my questions (above) 3 days ago, on Mon afternoon. Is there a reason that other questions that came in days after mine have been answered, but mine remain unanswered? Can someone please answer my questions today? Thanks

• Hey @acew19:

Great questions.

As far as clearing secrets from memory, the only difference in 1Password 7 for iOS is that the Touch ID / Face ID data is reset. The next time you unlock 1Password 7 for iOS, you'll need to use your account password to unlock. 1Password 8 for iOS (currently in Early Access) behaves exactly the same, however as it currently stands when you manually lock 1Password 8 for iOS, the Touch ID / Face ID data isn't reset. The next unlock can be with Face ID or Touch ID.

As for using 1Password 8 for Windows with 1Password 7 for iOS, everything will work great, and you'll be all set for when 1Password 8 is available on iOS. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

• acew19
    acew19
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply Jack.

I'm still a bit confused, please confirm if I understand this correctly...

1) 1Password 7 for iOS
    Manual Lock: I can NOT use Face ID to unlock.
    Auto-Lock: I CAN use Face ID to unlock.
    Is that correct?

2) 1Password 8 for iOS (currently in Early Access)
    Manual Lock or Auto-Lock: I CAN use Face ID to unlock.
    Is that correct?

• Hi @acew19:

That's correct. Feel free to reach out if there's anything else we can help you with!

Jack

ref: PQJ-66326-575

• acew19
    acew19
    Community Member

That works perfectly for me, thanks Jack!

• You're very welcome! 😀

This discussion has been closed.