To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Importing from bitwarden - cannot find option to import 1pif file

penguinBrian
penguinBrian
Community Member

Hello,

Am trying to import from bitwarden. Which I believe requires the MRC tool. https://github.com/amrwc/mrc-converter-suite - This will generate the 1pif file that I am supposed to be able to import into 1password.

But I cannot see any such option to import a 1pif file. If I select "Import..." and then "Other" the only option I have is to import a csv file. Which is not correct.

How do I import 1pif file which the MRC tool generates?

Or is this option not available on Linux? In which case, maybe trying 1password was a mistake, I thought it was suppose to be cross platform.

Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@penguinBrian

FYI: You need version 7 of 1Password. Version 8 does not yet include a 1PIF import. I believe the 1Password folks are working on this.

Do you have the ability to install V7 on a Mac or Windows desktop?

https://support.1password.com/import/

• penguinBrian
    penguinBrian
    Community Member

Oh, I see. I guess this means Version 8 on Windows and OSX would have the exact same problem. And version 7 I think was never released for Linux.

I see that there are official links to download version 7 for Windows and OSX still, will see if I can work something out.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@penguinBrian

Yes, that's correct.

Let me know if you need any adjustments to the bitwarden converter.

• penguinBrian
    penguinBrian
    Community Member

Thanks for your help.

Looks like it all went OK. I imported into a separate vault just in case I have to redo it. But can't see any problems - yet! Obviously won't delete the source data in a hurry.

The passwords I imported are a complete and utter mess. Full of deprecated and ancient passwords, and sorted randomly into folders. Garbage in == garbage out. I notice 1password has an archive feature, something I think I will be making good use of. For ancient logins which may or may not work on websites which may or may not exist anymore. I guess I will be busy trying to make sense of this now.

Now to evaluate 1password and see if I actually do like it better then Bitwarden. As much as I like the open source of Bitwarden, unfortunately, development seems to have stalled, with features such as auto fill not working 100% on Android. So far 1password looks good, except for the import. But hopefully I won't ever have to touch that again now.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Nice work @penguinBrian

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.