Preventing Timeout Lock (revisited)

Options

I know you folks are super secure. I appreciate that and for the most part that is why I use you for my password service.

That being said, I am also a subscriber and feel some things need to be up to us. I'll sign whatever waiver you wish! But PLEASE do not force me to enter my password multiple times every. single. day! I work from home and no one is ever near my computer. Everything else knows me and trusts me, but 1P requires me to authenticate constantly. Even secure sites like PayPal will let me in without authentication for 24 hours straight.

This isn't right at all. In fact, I'm so frustrated and have been so frustrated, for so long, I think this is the last straw. If I cannot control when my password is required (even two weeks was short for me before, but I'll deal with that over a few short hours) I'm finished with 1P for good.

I've been loyal for many, many years. I resisted the subscription effort but capitulated. I've dealt with a myriad of bugs and workarounds for years. But I'm not going to type my password in that many times a day. I'm just not!

Please, either tell me how to fix this, if it is going to be fixed, or if you expect me to just "deal with it." If I can't alter that, or it is not on its way, I'm canceling and expect a refund.

Thank you,
Pi$$ed in PA

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:locking timeout

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi @dihakz,

First, thank you for your support of 1Password so far. We appreciate that you've supported us over the long term, and of course want to provide you with an experience that justifies that support. I'm sorry to learn that the lock behavior has been a significant point of frustration.

We recently made adjustments to the lock options in the 8.7.0-28 Beta release. This was actually inspired by requests from folks here in the forums for more flexibility in how 1Password handles the lock state. Have you had a chance to check it out?

Of note, it includes an option to "Lock after the computer is idle for" 4 hours, 8 hours, and never. I hope that this is a helpful start.

Under the Auto-lock section, you can also de-select the "lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users" option, which will prevent the app from locking under those conditions.

Additionally, I personally find that TouchID (and similar biometrics on other platforms) can facilitate a smoother experience as well.

With these options together, you should be asked to sign in much less frequently, the app will stay open longer, and the sign-in process should feel more fluid.

For the sake of completeness, I should mention that we do occasionally encounter situations where there's an issue on a customer's system (that is, outside the 1Password app) that causes 1Password's lock settings to behave in unexpected ways. This is pretty rare, but if you adjust the settings mentioned above and find that 1Password is still locking more often than you've specified, you can always send us a brief message at support@1Password.com and we'll provide customized support for the issue.

Thanks again for raising this with us, and for the chance to make it right. We'll look forward to hearing from you!

• dihakz
    dihakz
    Community Member
    Options

I have, of course, examined every setting, anywhere it can be found. So I certainly knew about this and found the maximum (NOT "never") to be four hours. Hence the problem. I also have that checkbox unchecked. By all accounts this should be working, but it is not.

• @dihakz

Please try scrolling the list. It looks as if there is not another selection or two below 4 hours but they are there. You can just see the text peeking out in my screenshot.

• dihakz
    dihakz
    Community Member
    Options

OMG! Thank you. Had I known this, I could have avoided all the frustration and annoyance I may have caused.

• Great to hear that this setting works for you, @dihakz! We'll take this feedback on the UI into consideration, too - but for now we celebrate the more-flexible option so you can do the things you need to do. 🙌 As always, we're here if there's anything more we can do to help, as well.

• dihakz
    dihakz
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Remember, it's more than "UI" which is why there is a field called "UX". Yes, there is a difference and this is proof. The UI succeeded and the UX failed. Think about it, you almost lost a customer!

• Your point is well appreciated, @dihakz. We'll certainly take that into consideration, and in the meantime are very glad that we were able to connect!

• ElectricWaves23
    ElectricWaves23
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem. The never option works, until my windows laptop is rebooted then I have to type my master password in again. Is there any way to prevent this from occurring?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ElectricWaves23

If your laptop has a supported TPM then it may be possible to avoid that to some extent. You can read more here:

https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/#manage-your-settings

It isn't possible to avoid ever entering your account password, but this can help reduce the frequency.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.