I used to be able to unlock 1P with my macOS password. I can't anymore in version 8.

Options
CraigCottingham
CraigCottingham
Community Member

Until I updated to version 8, I always used my OS password to unlock 1Password. Now, I have to use the account password. I read through discussions like https://1password.community/discussion/122614/two-accounts-now-needs-two-different-passwords-every-time-you-login/ and understand that vaults and accounts changed in v8, and understand that one password won't unlock all of my accounts. Does this also mean that I'm not able to use the OS password by design?

The only reason it's an issue (other than having to unlearn a well-established habit) is that my 1P account password is substantially longer than my OS password. Fortunately, Touch ID works for me (usually), and when it doesn't I can still get the password from 1P on my phone.

I also have 1P for Linux, and I swear I saw something in some README there about being able to use system authentication (like PAM) to unlock 1P. (It hasn't worked for me, but I assumed it's because I'm using the ARM64 build, which I believe is still in beta.) Is it just not an option on macOS anymore, or is it not an option anywhere and I'm just imagining that it's supposed to be?

1Password Version: 8.7.3 for Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hello @CraigCottingham! 👋

1Password 7 was unlocked using the password of the first account or vault added to the app, is it possible that you had an older standalone vault that had the same password as your macOS user password? As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to unlock 1Password 7 using your macOS user password.

I recommend that you choose a strong but memorable password for your account password: How to choose a good 1Password account password

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• CraigCottingham
    CraigCottingham
    Community Member
    Options

is it possible that you had an older standalone vault that had the same password as your macOS user password?

Yeah, it’s possible. I’ve been using 1P since before teams/family sharing/whatever it is, and I may have started off using the same password.

• Hey @CraigCottingham:

That would likely explain the behavior you saw with 1Password 7. As Dave mentioned, the best account password for your 1Password account is one you can remember, but is also strong: How to choose a good 1Password account password

As for unlock methods, while it's definitely possible to use system authentication to unlock 1Password 8 for Linux, it's only possible to use Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock with 1Password 8 for Mac.

Let us know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.