Access 1P entries from within other apps no more possible

Options
1Passerby
1Passerby
Community Member

Hi there,

Let's say I receive an e-mail with a password protected PDF file attached (I use Spark in this example).
I click on the attachment and I'm asked for the document password, which is stored in one of my 1P entries, but not as main password.
The iOS keyboard prompts me to open 1P, as usual, when it recognizes a password field.
When 1P is open (from within Spark), no corresponding entries for that password are shown, which is normal because the domain is not the same as the main entry and is not saved.

At this point, I used to be able to do the following:

• Search for the entry containing my document password (or select it from my favorites items...even faster);
  • Once found, LONG TAP on it to open an see all of its content (including secret questions, OTP, notes etc.)
  • Copy the document password and then paste it. Automatic fill-in was unfortunately not possible...this could be a feature request ;)

Right now, it seems like this feature has disappeared. When I LONG TAP on an entry, its content is not shown, and the screen is totally empty.

Are there any plans to bring the feature back? It was VERY useful since I didn't have to leave the app, open 1P, re-authenticate, search, copy, quit the app, re-open the other app, re-authenticate, click on the attachment again and paste the password. The gain in productivity was massive for me.

I hope the description above is understandable.

Thank you!
1Passerby

1Password Version: 80800156
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @1Passerby,

This is very strange because the long-press behaviour to show the item details from within the 1Password AutoFill Extension is still there. You should also be able to slide the row to the left to reveal a "Show Details" button on the row.

It's possible that those gestures were broken in the June 22nd build you're using. If they're still not working in the next Early Access build (should hopefully be this week), please let us know.

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for confirming that the feature is still there, I’m happy to read that. Also thanks for the left slide trick, I had no idea!

I tried again (both long press and left slide) not only with Spark but also with iOS Files app…unfortunately the result is the same, the content is not showing. I tried selecting a different item but no luck.

I will monitor with the next release and keep you updated.

1Passerby

• @1Passerby Super, please let us know if this does not resolve after the next update👍

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member
    Options

I confirm that the feature works again on iPhone after the new beta release.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t work on iPad and the dialog screen when opening 1P from within another App (Spark Mail or Apple Files) is broken. See screenshot.

• @1Passerby thanks for the screenshot; that certainly doesn't look right.

Can you confirm for me that you can use 1Password 8 on your iPad as normal? Is it just the Password AutoFill extension that isn't working?

And could you please let me know what version of iOS you're using on your iPad?

Thanks so much!

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Andrew,

Yes I can use 1P8 on my iPad as normal. The issue occurs when 1P is summoned from the Autofill extension (iOS keyboard).

I’m using iPad OS 15.5 on iPad mini 5th gen. I have already deleted and reinstalled the latest beta to address another issue I had, but it didn’t help with this one.

Thank you,
    1Passerby

• I did some testing to confirm that the long-press gesture was still working, and it is. If you are seeing the "Open 1Password to add our account." screen then I think that means 1Password on your iPad has not populated the Autofill extension database. I would turn every setting off and then back on again.

From iOS Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords. Turn off 1Password.
    From 1Password Settings > AutoFill. Turn off and then on the AutoFill toggle. This should prompt you to turn AutoFill back on in the iOS Settings.

With both switches on, 1Password should populate the AutoFill database whenever unlocked.

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @chadseld, well spotted, the autofill option in 1Password was turned off after the update (no idea why). Turning it back on solved the issue.

Thank you,
    1Passerby

• Excellent!

This discussion has been closed.