Feedback: "Create new item" type-selection modal should pre-select first option

Options
madkins
madkins
Community Member

After upgrading to version 8, the new "create new item" workflow introduces a modal to select the type of item. I don't remember exactly what this looked like in version 7, but I think it either always defaulted to a login, or some other simplifying step where you could just start creating the new record. Screenshot of version 8 behavior attached

In my case--and I'd assume the majority of other users--almost all (96%) of my entries are Logins. Even if it's not exactly a website, it still isn't one of the other types, so I just put the information into a "Login".

The first thing this new workflow made me think of was Microsoft Word's Document Gallery. By default, this gallery pops up each time you open the app, and by default, it's the first setting I change whenever I install Word on a new device. It just gets in the way. I want to make a document, let me decide later is extra structures on it might be helpful.

If the modal needs to stay and a user-level setting to skip it isn't possible, I can live with that. However, it would be much appreciated to include a different part of the behavior from Microsoft Word: hitting "Enter" when the gallery pops up automatically selects the default (first) document type and lets me start my document.

In the "Create new item" modal, instead of pre-selecting the search box, pre-select the "Login" type so I can hit "Enter" and continue to the new item.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @madkins:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've added your thoughts to an internal discussion we have on this. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1145

This discussion has been closed.