Lost Password

Options
wlclev42
wlclev42
Community Member

First, I would NEVER delete the password for my contact management software. That software is the key to my business. So I have two questions:

How do I recover a lost password?
With this having happened, I am concerned that other passwords may have disappeared... How do I know as I have many passwords some of which I use very infrequently.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @wlclev42, I can assist you with this. 👋

The steps I'll list below are for 1Password 8 - but if you're using a different version of the app, let me know and I'll be happy to adjust.

There are a couple major places in 1Password where you can find old or replaced passwords.

1. You can find recently deleted passwords under Recently Deleted, in the bottom-left corner of the app.
    2. You can find archived passwords (which aren't deleted, just put away in their own location) in the Archive section, also in the bottom-left corner of the app.

And for any given item where you've made a passsword change, there's a way to view previous passwords.

• Select the item of interest
    • Hover over the item's password field, and select the downward-pointing arrow (v), then View Password History.
    • Select Reveal for any previous password you'd like to examine.

I should note that this View Password History option is only present for items that actually do have previous passwords associated with them. Otherwise, the option doesn't appear, since the current passwords is all there is to show. 👍

Let me know if you're able to recover the data in question using these tips, or if there's anything further we can do to assist. We'll be happy to help!

• conwaydean
    conwaydean
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened to me too, today. My main router login entry has disappeared. Used it for 1 year. Now gone. There is no trace of it. This is worrisome because my trust in 1Password is ... challenged. It is not in the Archive. Not in the Recently Deleted section either. Just gone. Which is really frustrating because now I have to factory reset the router.

I think a Audit link would be good for this situation: Recently Changed. You could easily see a list of what logins have been touched.

Even better, it would be good to be able to pick two dates and see a delta of differences over time so you can work out if you have made a mistake and overwritten a Password change.

• Hi @conwaydean, I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've recently encountered with your missing router login.

To confirm, have you had a look at other devices using 1Password to see if the item appears there? Ultimately, an item that was synced to your account should be appearing when signing in to 1Password.com (or .ca/.eu) and other devices when syncing is working as expected.

Since you've been using this item for a year, you can have a look through the Recently Deleted Items there complete a restoration as needed. Previous versions and deleted items are saved for one year:

View and restore previous versions of items

I hope this helps to recover this data. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.