2FA QR scanning is not working

kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

Since upgrading to v8.3.5 a few days ago, I'm trying to enable two factor authentication (one-time password) on a couple different sites. However, when I click the "Scan QR code from clipboard or screen", I'm told "QR code detection failed". This is happening on two different sites that are clearly displaying the QR code (which is readable by my iPhone), as they're both smack dab in the middle of the screen with no distractions, random text or graphics.

Please help me in scanning these QR codes with this new method.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @kappabear

Is it possible to share the sites? We can check for known issue on our side. I have had a couple of sites recently that were not compatible. Do the sites provide you with an alphanumerical code you can paste into 1Password instead of scanning the QR code?

Make sure you also granted 1Password permission to record the screen. Without that it would not be able to scan for you. Also make sure you have restarted 1Password. This would need to be done to make sure it's granted the permissions you just allowed.

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > screen recording.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, Screen Recording is enabled, and it worked for the first 2 or 3 sites that I added.

https://www.patreon.com/settings/account
    https://www.bestbuy.com/identity/accountSettings/page/twoStep/enroll

Are the 2 sites in question that aren't currently working with the QR scanning. However, I can use an alphanumeric code.

Cheers.

• @kappabear

BestBuy works here and has for some time. I do not recall if I scanned the code or used the manual method. Clarification, are you saying you can scan the code and then 1Password accepts it? Then you confirm the code to the site, and then later it fails? If so, those are perfect indicators of time drift. Can you clarify if 1Password is generating the code but perhaps not filling it for you? I know when I visit BestBuy, I'll need to click into the TOTP field.

I disabled 2FA for my account and set it up again with no trouble scanning the code. Can you let me know more about where you are running into trouble?

I also did not encounter any trouble on Patreon. Please let me know what you experience when trying to scan the code.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member

What I’m saying is that I can not scan the QR code on these sites. The auto scan function fails, and I receive an error. I can manually enter the provided alphanumeric code, which then generates the next code, and the site accepts it. I never had an issue when 1Password provided a movable reticle in previous versions. With v8.3.5 and the auto scan feature, half of the sites that I’ve attempted to scan have failed.

• Weird. I setup 2FA anew for both sites before I replied to you. Are you using anything that may inhibit our looking at the screen? Have you give the device a restart? If not, please so. What browser did you use? Do you have any add on's that may dim the screen or cause the codes to appear in a grey background aka non white? We have recently had a report of that behavior.

• @egrep

I replied to your other posting. :)

• winstonion
    winstonion
    Community Member

I didn't have screen recording enabled, apparently it will also fail if the QR code isn't visible. These errors should be presented to the user. Very poor error handling imo in 1p... as in zero. It should know if it has access to screen recording or not or if it didn't find a QR code visible.

also, wen ... when enable passcode instead of fingerprint... please...

• @winstonion

Thank you for the feedback. We do have an internal issue open to look into improving the state of things with the screen recording permission and I've added your comments there.

Is QR code scanning now working now that you've enabled the screen recording permission for 1Password?

also, wen ... when enable passcode instead of fingerprint... please...

While I can't promise anything, I've let our product team know that this is something that you'd like to see. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#13647
    ref: PB-30504460

• winstonion
    winstonion
    Community Member

Yes, once I enabled screen recording it worked well. Thanks for looking into my other stuff too!

• @winstonion

Thank you again for the feedback. I'm happy that QR code scanning is working for you now. 🙂

-Dave

• daverendle66
    daverendle66
    Community Member

I sometimes find 1Password won't scan a QR code. When that happens, the easy fix is to use the zoom buttons in the browser. I zoom in on the QR code at say 250%, and then 1Password always manages to scan it OK.

• Thanks for sharing your workaround in these cases, @daverendle66, much appreciated!

• sanpedrodechile
    sanpedrodechile
    Community Member

Same here @andrew.l_1P.

Sometimes it works flawlessly with sites (Facebook). Sometimes it works only if I download the QR code, open it in a viewer where I can increase the size (galaxus.ch). But most of the times it does not detect a QR code at all (Google). Instead I get the message "no QR detected", even if I blow it up to four times the size.

• @sanpedrodechile

I'm sorry that you're also running into issues with scanning a 2FA QR code. I've added you to an internal work item that our developers have open for the issue.

In the meantime, can you use the browser extension to scan the QR code when the desktop app doesn't work: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19783

This discussion has been closed.