Hello, switched phones; authenticator hosed; can't read QR code. No 1PW support reply from 7/14

TCHDOD
TCHDOD
Community Member

Tried to reload both Microsoft and Google authenticators but neither can read the QR code I generate. Sure would appreciate someone's step by step instructions from someone smarter than I am on 1PW

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.4
Browser:_ Duck Duck Go
Referrer: forum-search:Authentication

Comments

• @TCHDOD

Did you receive a support id from your submission? If so, can you provide it?

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Hello ag_tommy and thanks for the fast reply sir

I did an OL form submission last Thursday and never got a response or ticket # assigned yet. Ouch...

On Saturday I also replied back to an old ticket number to see if that might expedite a response but no joy, ticket may be closed out so perhaps they never rec'd that one? That was under LUB-65115-732

Like 1PW and know folks are short staffed, but I was hoping for a reply in less than a week. ;-)

Everything was working fine until I swapped out my droid

• @TCHDOD

Thanks for getting back to me. I see one of my colleagues Daniel has replied, and you should have also received an auto-reply with the ticket id. I would recommend checking your junk folder. As soon as I post this here, I am going to resend that message. It might have been gobbled up by a spam catcher.

Note: I see you used a different address for the submission vs. what you use for the community. That may have affected your receiving the reply.

ref: JEV-71793-871

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Thanks ag_tommy but nothing rec'd in inbox or SPAM back to June 29th. Sorry to waste your time sir

• @TCHDOD

No worries about my time. It's part of the job. 😀 The part about you not getting our reply is concerning. It sounds like a sever side spam catcher getting overly carried away. Would it be possible for you to send me a message from that same email account? Please let me know when that has occurred, and I'll check my end. Be sure to include the following so that we can connect the dots.

• Your forum username: TCHDOD
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131606/hello-switched-phones-authenticator-hosed-cant-read-qr-code-no-1pw-support-reply-from-7-14

support+forum@1password.com

• @TCHDOD

By all means, we need to get the email portion sorted. Perhaps I can assist with the original question and we can come at this from two fronts. You said.

Tried to reload both Microsoft and Google authenticators but neither can read the QR code I generate.

Is this while trying to scan a code on the Android device? And if so, is this in relation to a specific site or is this regarding setting up a TOTP code for 1Password.com? It sounds like the latter by your wording. Have the appropriate permissions been granted in the OS?

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Happy to but don't see your EM address. I'm sure it's obvious but this is my first time on message board. Was EM sent from yahoo or msn address?

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Goes w/o saying that I'd like to see Daniel's reply at some point too of course

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Yes, sorry, just saw this. So I go to "1PW settings->preferences->set up other devices" accounts to generate QR code. Then I tried scanning it using both MSFT and GOOG authenticators and it says it is not readable. Background light was good but no glare. Not sure what TOTP is?

Permissions should not be an issue. I started family account and invite others

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Could it be b/c I am not using the browser version? I'm using the toolbar "Bullseye" like icon in the shortcut bar. I can't use the browser version b/c that requires the authenticator to work and it doesn't

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

Please send your request to support+forum@1password.com TOTP would be a temporary one time passcode.

1PW settings->preferences->set up other devices

Ah, you have a membership. Thanks for that detail. Please send your message from the email address associated with your account.

• @TCHDOD

1PW settings->preferences->set up other devices

Apologies if I missed a detail but this isn't a setting path with a membership in 1Password 7 for Android. Are you referring to Settings > Accounts > your account > Set up another device ? After tapping Set up another device are you seeing a screen in 1Password for Android like my example below?

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Morning ag_tommy

Sent you EM you requested from account requested at 1723hrs yesterday. Still have heard nothing from your colleague Daniel, not even the initial acknowledgement saying "thank you for contacting 1PW, your message is important to us" with case number. Yes, of course I've checked SPAM folder regularly.

Why can't you just cut and paste his response in this forum?

Not sure why it takes so long to get a reply but tomorrow is a week I think, which is too long in my book. 1PW needs to look at their client interface approach in my book. You will lose clients for sure

• Let's revisit your questions with a fresh set of eyes.

Tried to reload both Microsoft and Google authenticators but neither can read the QR code I generate.

To me this reads as you are trying to set up the authenticator again, as in another instance. Did you replace the device you originally used? This is the most common reason I might expect to see this question. This also sounds as if you might have 2FA enabled at this time. As in it is still active on your account. If you have changed devices and need to setup the feature again you'll need to first disable the feature and re-enable it. You can do this from any logged in device. Please see the link below for more details.

• Once the original code to enable 2FA is used it cannot be retrieved later. It sounds as if you are scanning the code to setup a new installation of 1Password and not the code to enable 2FA. That would be why you are unable to scan it. That 2FA code can only be created on 1Password.com.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

To turn off two-factor authentication, sign in to your account on 1Password.com in an authorized browser or unlock 1Password on an authorized device:

iOS and Android
    Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts. Tap your account, then tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

1Password.com
    1. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    2. Click More Actions > Manage Two-Factor Authentication.
    3. Click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication, then enter your account password.

I just replied to the new email you sent in. Beyond what I have described above I cannot help you via this medium. We would need that working email exchange to discuss account specifics. This is for your protection. We need to make sure we have a working communication medium. Pasting here to the community is not an available option. I appreciate your understanding.

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

Just sent you another EM from a different account. Maybe you can finally use what I sent.

I did not get a reply from you, Daniel, or a case number

• Hi @TCHDOD, thanks for sending in another email. If you haven't received a response from us but did receive a code please post that here so we can track it down.

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

UKE-26924-455

Folks
    Looks like phone is added and most functionality restored but no one ever addressed core e-mail problem with original account. Clearly issue is on your side as you get my EM in but I never get a reply back. Further, I did use that same account previously under other case numbers. So what's that all about?

I'm not pleased with how long this took to get resolved. Supposedly Daniel replied days earlier but I never rec'd it and no one would forward to new account. Since it is Friday afternoon, doubt I'll hear anything until Mon and probably not then either

Request e-mail address for customer service manager and/or 1 month credit on account

• Hello @TCHDOD, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm not sure why there is an issue receiving our emails but I'm very sorry for the trouble and delay it has caused.

It looks like my colleague has followed up in greater detail via email regarding the issues you've raised here. If there are any specifics you'd like to discuss further, lets continue the conversation there. If there are any issues receiving that email, please let us know! Thanks again.

• Hi @TCHDOD

I am following up about an email we sent to the email address linked to your ticket with the support ID: LUB-65115-732. We sent this email to you on Saturday. Have you received it on your end? Be sure to check your Junk or Spam as well.

Cheers,

Alex

• TCHDOD
    TCHDOD
    Community Member

No sir; replied to Alex under new EM address. Very odd since 1PW reps used that address in prior support cases. I can provide that case number if that would help you troubleshoot

• Thanks for following up with us. I'll leave this thread open in case there's any other issues connecting with us via email while we look into this.

This discussion has been closed.