1Password 8 feedback

Options
RexRay
RexRay
Community Member

Not feeling it for the new version 8.

Problems/issues, in no particular order:
1. When a webpage login has more than one 1Password entry option, the options are blocked by Safari's password option dropdown.
2. Add my vote for a way to generate a new password in Quick Access.
3. Autofill behavior is inconsistent. I like that 1Password sometimes auto-fills the credentials and also then automatically logs in, without further user action, BUT, this doesn't happen most of the time. Sometimes 1P only autofills but doesn't then login, requiring user action to complete the login. AND, worse yet, sometimes 1P just does nothing at all, not responding to either a click on the 1P icon next to the username or password field, or when hitting command-\ on the keyboard, instead requiring the user to click on the Web browser extension icon or the menubar icon.
4. Related to number 3 above, often hitting command-\ will summon the prompt for logging in to 1P, but it comes up back behind the frontmost app and doesn't come forward or gain focus, even if hitting command-\ again and again, thus requiring user intervention to bring the login window forward before the 1P password can be entered.

It's obvious AgileBits put a lot of work into the 1P8 release, but it's far from something I'd consider an improvement over version 7. The hard truth is that I still wish we could go back to version 6 of 1Password, the last Mac Desktop client that worked really well, and which also let me use whatever Cloud storage for syncing between devices. I also still hate the subscription model.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @RexRay,

Thanks for all your feedback, I'll tackle these in order:

1. We typically recommend not using your browser's password manager alongside 1Password to avoid conflicts like this. You can disable Safari's password manager in Safari > Preferences then navigate to the Autofill section and deselect the options for "Using information from my contacts", "Usernames and passwords", and "Credit cards"
    2. Added! We appreciate your input 💙
    3. If you use Universal Autofill (+\) to fill your Login item then 1Password will automatically submit, but if you're using the inline menu on a field or the 1Password pop-up in Safari, 1Password won't automatically submit. Here's an example of the latter where the Login button would still need to be clicked:

And here are some more details about both features:
    • Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac
    • Save and fill passwords in your browser
      As for the part about the 1Password icon inside a field being unresponsive, if you've already tried restarting Safari to no avail, try navigating to Safari's Preferences > Extensions > Unchecking and re-checking 1Password for Safari, and then refreshing the page. I suspect this is related to a known bug that occurs after opening the 1Password extension settings in Safari.
    1. Can I ask if you're using an app in fullscreen or windowed mode when this happens? Any other details you can share that might help us recreate this?

I appreciate the acknowledgement; we're still iterating and working on improvements and we hope that one day you'll prefer it to previous versions. In the meantime, feedback like yours is invaluable in making these changes, so thanks for taking the time to share it!

ref: IDEA-I-298

• RexRay
    RexRay
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P, thanks for the reply and helpful info. With regard to #4, I'm using windowed mode, and it typically happens in Safari, v15.5 (17613.2.7.1.8), running on an Intel Mac, running macOS Monterey v12.4.

This discussion has been closed.