Does 1Password override my Mac's offer to generate a strong password in Safari?

Options
srbuwsnyc
srbuwsnyc
Community Member
edited July 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

When creating a username and password on a new site, the "password" field no longer gives Safari's offer to create a password--and the 1P icon in the blank doesn't give that option either. So I cannot generate a password at all from within the page.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 18.0
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @srbuwsnyc:

If you've disabled Safari's Password Autofill options, then yes. We're investigating a situation where the inline menu might not show as expected on fields when you're using Safari. If you quit Safari and reopen it, do you see the inline menu on fields, like so?

Let me know!

Jack

• srbuwsnyc
    srbuwsnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't disabled Safari's autofill, and I usually do see 1P's popup--but does that totally override/replace Safari's? In most cases, I would prefer to use Safari's. But even if I have the 1P extension turned off, I don't seem to get Safari's offer.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022
    Options

@srbuwsnyc

If you disable Safari autofill then 1Password will be the primary. If both remain active a lot of our users report seeing both and would be expected. We recommend using just 1Password as it will keep all of your data in one location and it will not become fragmented. As in one sync type and not the other. Having 1Password enabled would not generally stop Safari's suggestion from appearing.

• Using the Safari suggestion/prompt will not save data into 1Password. Make sure you see our prompt to save data within 1Password.
This discussion has been closed.