[Suggestion] Visualize "syncing" Status in icon bar

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member
Hi guys,

As you know, the little gears on the bottom are spinning, when a sync is in progress. But IMHO this is not always easy to see. So I suggest to make that more visible, e.g. make the gears a little brighter or sth like that and revert back to normal when done.

This would be helpful to let you know, when you can start to actually use 1P as during sync, search doesn't work and the app is kind of slow.

Regards,
Michael

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Hey that makes 2 of us. I think I mentioned somewhere... about making them a different color while syncing.

Nice to know I am not alone ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You can search and use the app while it is syncing. I'll mention your request to the developers, but personally I think it is like having a setting to watch grass grow, paint dry, or water boil. It will happen more quickly if you are not watching it every second. :P

I tease a bit, but I will pass your vote for this along. Thank you for the feedback!
  • Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Hi khad,

thank you :-)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

paint dry, or water boil. It will happen more quickly if you are not watching it every second. :P

I tease a bit, but I will pass your vote for this along. Thank you for the feedback!

Doh Yes it will. I cant tell you how much of my life I stare at that little blue line waiting for it to finish. Not here just in general.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    It's a tradeoff, but I find the biggest issue I've had, even with 1Password 3, is going into the app and looking for a password that was recently updated elsewhere (e.g. on the desktop), and wanting to make sure that it's fully synced before trying to actually use it (lest I simply pull out the old one and waste time trying it unsuccessfully). This happens most often when I'm on the go and in a hurry, and the sync indicators in v4 are a huge step in the right direction, but can still be too easy to miss or forget about when I just need to fetch a recently-changed password now :)

iCloud syncing will presumably help this somewhat by speeding up the sync process (with the data already on the device), but we're not there yet in terms of iCloud support on the desktop, and besides even that isn't quite instantaneous.

Another option that might be helpful is a "last updated" timestamp on each record. Although I can appreciate that would add visual clutter, it could always be done in a lighter, smaller font down at the bottom.
  • Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    jhollington,

that's exactly what I meant. I'm having the same issue with recently changed passwords on other devices.

Would it be possible to have s.th. like a "local" push notification that tells you, when the sync has ended? Similar to Growl on the Mac.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    I feel exactly the same about the need for something to show that your devices are in sync. Timestamp of the latest modification would be one way. Might there be others?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I've definitely been in a similar situation myself: running out the door and just want to make sure something I just added was synced. I think the current sync functions and status are probably sufficient for this use case, but there is always room for improvement (like a timestamp).

Keep the feedback coming!
This discussion has been closed.