Unable to set Fill in Browser shortcut as cmd+\

Options
nca
nca
Community Member

Hello, just upgraded to version 8 of 1password and I am unable to use the shortcut cmd+\ to fill-up form on the web. Clicking cmd+\ doesn't do anything. I checked on the preferences and changed it to see if it works with another shortcut (cmd+shift+h), and it work flawlessy.
I tried to change it back to cmd+\ but it "translate" cmd+\ into cmd+<:

Any idea what is happening and how(if) can I fix it?

I am using a QWERTY italian keyboard on a m1 macbook air

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3

Comments

• Raekon
    Raekon
    Community Member
    Options

Same exact issue I have and I posted about, but no replies. I also have an Italian keyboard. I think I'll have to contact support directly because it's clearly a bug

• Hey @nca and @Raekon:

Thanks for reaching out about this. This is something we're investigating, and while I don't have any specifics to share just yet, it's definitely something we'd like to improve on.

In the meantime, if you're willing to use a different Fill in browser shortcut, that would be your best bet.

Jack

• Raekon
    Raekon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot @Jack.P_1P , feel free to check out the thread I made where I explained the issue in detail if you need more info. Using a different keyboard shortcut definitely works just fine, however cmd+\ is very handy and the default instructions tell you to press that, so if you could eventually fix this issue I think it would be great and it would make things much easier to figure out for the average user that doesn't know how to fix this issue (besides, keyboard shortcut registration is all over the place until the bug gets fixed and the correct keys are recognized, regardless of what keyboard layout people are using). I believe it's an issue with (some?) non-US keyboard layouts, hopefully the fix isn't too hard to implement. Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P for the reply! I totally subscribe to what @Raekon mentioned, it would be lovely to come back to cmd+\ asap, and while other shortcuts are possible, I am happily using the same key combination for more than 10 years now, so it will take some time to get used to something different :-)

• Thank you for these thoughts, folks. We're listening and taking your feedback into account, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. πŸ”‘

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Any ETA for this? I just tried the latest beta and it is not fixed yet. Let us know if we can test something

• ticksgt
    ticksgt
    Community Member
    Options

The same problem occurs with JIS key layouts.
    https://1password.community/discussion/129690/

JIS Keyboard

US Keyboard

The number of buttons available is the same as in US, and the problem seems to be that the placement is in JIS. This is causing problems with backslash input.

• mjclemente
    mjclemente
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Really frustrating. Just wanted to hop on this thread, in case a solution is eventually posted.

• Hi folks, I don't have anything to report on this yet but am collecting all the information I can about who this affects and how we can help. Thanks for bearing with us while we work this out!

@mjclemente: may I ask what kind of keyboard layout you're using? That could help us make sure we can implement a solution for your configuration.

• mjclemente
    mjclemente
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh - sorry for the slow response. I'm using a standard US QWERTY keyboard.

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? it has been fixed? I cannot find anything in the release notes

• PaulDoesDev
    PaulDoesDev
    Community Member
    Options

Still seeing this, but only on Chromium browsers. Firefox works perfectly.

I use a UK QWERTY layout

• Raekon
    Raekon
    Community Member
    Options

It's got nothing to do with which browser you are using, it's an issue with the 1password mac client itself. When I go into the preferences and try to set CMD + \ as my auto fill hotkey, it gets registered as CMD + < instead. It still hasn't been fixed at all

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the update..i am a bit surprise it has not been tackled. As much as it does appal me the lack of testing with not-anglophone communities ...Can we please get an ETA on this?

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Another month passed and no update.. @PeterG_1P is there a way to get support on this ?

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Another month and another test. Nothing changed, it is impossible to use the autofill with the cmd+\ shortcut with 1password 8 for some of us... @PeterG_1P @Jack.P_1P Any news? How can this be solved?

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi @nca, my apologies for not responding earlier - I have moved to a new role and as a result am in the forums less frequently than I formerly was.

I've tracked the existing known keyboard issues and from what I can tell the majority have been sorted thanks to app updates we've released over the last couple months. However, given that you're still encountering issues with this, it would be great for us to dig in deeper so we can understand why autofill isn't working for you.

In order to do that, I'll ask you to contact us by email so we can investigate on your behalf. Here's what to do:

1. First, create a diagnostics report from your 1Password for Mac app:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can close the loop. Our team will reply to you by email as quickly as we can. Thanks very much!

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This is my support ID [#ETJ-33797-625]

• @nca – Thank you! We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

• Raekon
    Raekon
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm the problem is absolutely NOT fixed. It's not that autofill doesn't work, the problem is that you can't set the autofill shortcut to cmd+\, because on certain keyboard layouts (like the Italian one) it gets assigned to cmd+< when you try to do that. It's just impossible to use cmd+\ as the autofill shortcut, which is the default one users are told to press when they want to autofill, and people will try to press it and it won't work, because it's bugged on certain keyboard layouts. Option A would be to fix this bug and make cmd+\ work on every keyboard layout. If that's not possible right now, option B would be to set the default autofill shortcut to a different one for specific layouts that are known not to work with cmd+\ and make sure users know the new shortcut they should use instead, so that they will have a working shortcut out of the box, without needing to change anything in the preferences.

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @Raekon I will update the thread if there are some news

• pineywoodsg
    pineywoodsg
    Community Member
    Options

My experience is that the CMD+\ shortcut will not work until I am logged in to 1Password by some means. Once logged in, the shortcut works fine. Browser equals Safari. 1p for Mac 8.9.4

• nca
    nca
    Community Member
    Options

I believe it is more of a shortcut recording issue, as it is impossible to record the shortcut CMD+\ in the app itself. Still waiting for a fix..

This discussion has been closed.