Account ‘flowchart’ ?

JCarlock
JCarlock
Community Member

I recently had the realization that if I lost access to 1Password, I would not be able to login to my email. I have 2FA enabled for 1Password, however i wouldn’t be able to access 1PW if I could not get into my email.

Someone have an idea for how to keep an Authenticator available outside of 1PW, that would be PW protected but not require a 2FA inside 1PW?

I’m stuck in this circular logic problem, where I lose access to everything at once, forever.

Guess I could print my 1PW login and secret info, and keep that somewhere?

Comments

• JCarlock
    JCarlock
    Community Member

I recently had the realization that if I lost access to 1Password, I would not be able to login to my email. I have 2FA enabled for 1Password, however i wouldn’t be able to access 1PW if I could not get into my email.

Someone have an idea for how to keep an Authenticator available outside of 1PW, that would be PW protected but not require a 2FA inside 1PW?

I’m stuck in this circular logic problem, where I lose access to everything at once, forever.

Guess I could print my 1PW login and secret info, and keep that somewhere?

• Hi JCarlock. We'd recommend that you have a copy of your Emergency Kit kept somewhere safe with your account password written on it. Keep your Emergency Kit somewhere secure where it won't fall into the wrong hands, perhaps along with your passport or other important documents: Where to Store Your 1Password Emergency Kit

You mentioned having two-factor authentication turned on for your 1Password account – in that case, make sure you're using a different app to generate one-time passwords for 1Password. Something like Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or Authy would do the job nicely for this.

The main way to break the logical loop that you describe is to make sure you'll always have access to your 1Password account, and this is precisely what the Emergency Kit was designed to do. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help.

This discussion has been closed.