Why is 1Password demanding my huge account password?

Options
Yngtor
Yngtor
Community Member

Previously, on 1Password 7, I was able to use a shorter password than the very long one I have for my main 1Password account. It is one I use on my phone and my other Mac. However I had to reinstall it on a replacement machine and I cannot access 1Password without that long password.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Ad Astra Per Aspera,
Kevin

1Password Version: v7+
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.4
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why is 1Password demanding my huge account password?

Comments

• @Yngtor

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in.

2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Password for that membership account

3. If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Password of the second account that was added.

Based on what you have said it would seem you have a Primary vault present on your other devices. The replacement device sounds as if it is only setup for you membership. If all of your data is in your membership we would recommend removing the Primary vault to prevent confusion. Before doing that make sure any needed data is in your membership.

• Yngtor
    Yngtor
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. However I installed it myself, no one else and the only option was the main membership, nothing else was an option. So I just changed my master password to the one that is working on my phone and home Mac and so the password will now be all the same.

Thanks again.
    Ad Astra Per Aspera,
    Kevin

• If you need further assistance please let us know. We'll be happy to help.

We can also take a deeper look into your setup if you wish. If you'd like us to do that, please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

This discussion has been closed.