1Password 8 search

cmr011
cmr011
Community Member

Hi,
Longtime 1Password user since 2010 but first time posting here :)
I recently upgraded to 1P 8 on both my Windows and Mac and couldn't help but notice the search bar doesn't seem to search the "notes" section for logins now. This has worked fine in 1P7. Has anyone else noticed this? Can this feature be added back please? Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 21H2

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @cmr011 !

I just created a test entry with some text in the notes section. When trying to search for this text, it is found... 🤔

I'm using 8.8.0-104 beta build on Windows 11.
    1Password for Windows Beta

Maybe you could give latest beta build a try?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Maybe another case of 1PW8's substandard search implementation that doesn't support substring/partial word search? Does it still work if you search for "adu" instead of "badum"?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

No. 😕

• Hey @cmr011, thanks for reaching out. Searching in 1Password 8 doesn't work the same way as it did in 1Password 7. If you're searching for partial words as suggested above, then your search may not yield any results. I can certainly understand how this could be disruptive to someone's workflow.

We currently have an internal issue raised where I'll be sure to add your voice to further highlight user interest in this feature. Let me know if you have any additional questions or feedback. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-527

• cmr011
    cmr011
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Hello @ali.hazime , @viswiz , and @DenalB ,
    Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I did another test and partial letters or numbers do not return search results anymore. It used to work in 1P7 and still works in the iOS app. As @ali.hazime mentioned, it is very disruptive for me as I frequently search for last couple of digits or partial words to find the correct entry and it’s impossible to go through the nearly 2000 items I have. I just realized that this issue has been brought up elsewhere and sorry for the repetition here. I’d appreciate if this can be reintroduced in a future version promptly and I also appreciate the team’s openness to engage with users. Thanks again!

• Hi @cmr011, thanks for your considerate post here, and for letting us know about your experience. We have filed a vote on your behalf for changes to this feature, as @ali.hazime mentioned. 👍

If you'd like a short-term solution to the issue you mentioned, I'd suggest trying the "find" feature, which was recently introduced. You should be able to get this by pressing ctrl + alt + f on your Windows device when 1Password is open. Let me know if this proves suitable for your use case and dealing with those items! Hope this is helpful for you.

• cmr011
    cmr011
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hello @PeterG_1P , thank you for the pointers. I tested it and can confirm that on both Windows and Mac, "find" searches login usernames, card numbers, and secure notes. However, it doesn't search the "notes" section in a login item which is what I need. My only recourse so far is to use the iOS app.

• Niekie
    Niekie
    Community Member

I preferred the search functionality of 7 over that of 8. With 7, I could find an item in seconds, 8 returns what seems to be a list of irrelevant entries that I need to scroll through to find the correct one. is there an option to get the search functionality of 7 in v8?

• MaRob
    MaRob
    Community Member

Hi, first I wanted to do a seperate message to 1Passwords support team, but because of finding this post ... .
    The search of 1Password 8 is one of that things that really makes me unhappy and go back to 1PW 7.

What I would like to see first is to search parts of words as discussed above. For example "-11123" will show item "98679-45345-11123"

Then a quick access from the searchfield to define where the default search should work on Item name, content, comment, ..."

Then the searchfilters are a great idea but usage is really userunfreandly and slow. Type "=vault:VAULTNAME" makes it slow and not userfriendly to remember the key words vault, tag, category, ... .
    My suggestion here: Lets type "==". Then automatically a list appears, that shows the different search options: 1: tag, 2: category, 3: vault, 4: ... and so on. Now you can select the category by mouseclick, arrow keys or even faster by just typing the number, that stays in front of the search option. Now to have a better overview in the searchfield, there dose not appear "=vault" (or what ever category to search for is selected). Just display an icon that represents the category. now typing a word (or a part of the word) will only be searched in the befour selected category.
    To make it even faster you can do it like type "==" --> DropDown shows search areas. Type "3 + ENTER" --> For example searches for Vaults. --> A default vault icon is showen in the search bar and the next drop down is shown with all the vaults that exist. Now start typing the vault name, select by arrow keys or again selcting the number in front of the vault name and press ENTER. --> Now the search field shows the default vault icon followed by the icon of the selected vault. Now typing in the search field searches only in the selected vault.
    Hope the steps are clear - I think, that will do the search also much better and faster.

Two in this post off topic feature - I hope its ok to post them here :-) :
    I would like to see the ability to link a password of one item to an other item.
    In our company we still have some different places, where we need to enter our windows user credentials.
    Some tools as well as some intranet pages and services. We also need to change the passwords after a period of time.
    Now I have to change the password at all this items.
    It would be good to have the ability to create one user login item and in other items I would like to reffer to the user login item. Now, when I need to change my user password I only need to do that at one place.

It would also be great if instead of only be able to enter WEB URLs to have the ability to open a local or network directory in finder or explorer.

Then it also would be great to have the ability to specify the tool, that will be used to open an entry.
    For most websites I use Firefox (default). For some I need to use chrome. It would be great to specyfy that in 1Password in the different items. Maybe also open a tool with some extra parameters would be great.
    As a workaround for usage of different browsers at different websites I am using "Open in" on my Mac. But it would be much nicer to specify it directly in 1PW ♥

The last topic:-)
    When searching a secure note (with fast search / SHIFT + STRG + SPACE on Windows) you can open a sub menue with the right key.
    There is an option to open this note. But then you have to close this window manualy again.
    I have some notes with different URLs inside. With that it would be great with a workflow where search the secure note, jump into that note, select one link by by arrow keys, press enter to open that link AND close the secure note window.

• Good morning @cmr011, @Niekie and @MaRob. Thanks for your messages and continued feedback about the search experience in 1Password 8 vs. 1Password 7. Our team is continuing to investigate and improve the search functionality and I've updated our internal issue to include the additional details provided here.

@MaRob - Regarding the ability to link passwords between items to more easily change those password in one place is a great idea and has also been filed with the team as feature request.
    ref: IDEA-I-1121

While 1Password currently uses the default browser set by your system, this feature request to specify a browser that could be used open an entry has previously been filed by a member of our team and I've added your +1 here.
    ref: IDEA-I-1119

With regard to your last topic and using Quick Access to search a note, in your example and as a workaround, you can add the separate URL fields to an item and use the arrows keys to scroll through those fields and press enter to open the URL and use ESC to close the window after Alt+Tab back to that 1Password Window. I hope this is helpful.

While we can't guarantee when or if any of the above requested features can be added to 1Password 8, I wanted to be sure they were filed for consideration. Please let us know if you have any thoughts or concerns. Have a great day!

• MaRob
    MaRob
    Community Member

Good morning @ag_mike_d and thank you for your reply.
    Thank you for your work arround according the secure notes. Yes it works, but it is still a work arround.
    Having a settings check box "close note after open a link" would also be great :-)

One topic you missed and I would appreciate, if we will see that in the future. And that is to open a path in finder or explorer.
    I would love ❤❤❤ to see that function.

Thank you

• Thanks for your additional feedback here, @MaRob. I apologize for missing that topic. I'll pass these details along to the team for you! Have a nice weekend!

ref: IDEA-I-1140
    ref: IDEA-I-1141

• ct17
    ct17
    Community Member

Hi all ... I just stumbled upon this bug and am completely frustrated. I WASTED a LOT (20 Mins+) of time trying to find a password for a website that I could only recall a portion of the URL. It could not be found using the standard "Search" box in 1PW8. To research this problem, I needed to dedicate MORE time to join the support community , only to discover this issue was reported back in May. We're now in the early part of July. How long does it take to correct somewhat of a simple search query?? The work around (ctrl + alt + f) isn't acceptable for a subscription app. If this was a "FREE" app, I would be more understanding. I switched to 1PWf rom one the major competitors, for reason's similar to this issue and their lack of urgency to correct it. There's many other PW apps to try, If 1PW can't rectify a simple bug that worked in all the previous versions and is now broken in the new version, I question if I can trust 1PW with something more serious like the security of my "Digital Life" (My Passwords.) and it's Quality Control. How is something like this missed in pre-deployment testing?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

@ct17 it‘s even worse. This major showstopper bug was already reported by me in September 2021 at the beginning of the early access phase. After all this time the only answer we get is still ‚we are evaluating the situation… 1PassWord ist constantly evolving… bla bla bla‘

• ct17
    ct17
    Community Member

@viswiz Thanks for providing that information. Being this has been an issues for that long is ridiculous. My confidence level in 1PW has diminished even further. I now need to comb this support community site to determine if there any other "significant" bugs that I should be concerned with and make a determination if it's time to move on.

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022

Hi folks, we appreciate your feedback on this. We're juggling a lot of plates here at 1Password, and some improvements are easier to make than others. We appreciate your patience, and are logging all your votes and advocating for your use case as we go.

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member

Add my vote to this issue.

• Thanks, @BEAK. 👍I've added your vote.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

I would LOVE to be able to control search behavior via SETTINGS:

• Swap Ctrl+Enter versus Enter
    • Set the ctrl+alt+f behavior as the default behavior (i.e. in the search box, and via Ctrl+f)
      I'm sure the above would cut WAY down on complaints from people like, well, me.

And I'll confirm: partial-word search works in the search box, but only for word-initial strings.
    All other partial-word searches require ctrl+alt+f.
    (This with 1Password 8 Windows 8.8.0 (80800215 on BETA channel) on Win 10 Pro.)

PS: I suggest that NONE OF US have learned to instinctively hit Ctrl+Alt+F for a default search, in any app.
    Ditto Ctrl+Enter, which is inexplicably required in v. 8 to see search results. (In other words, to get the usual and expected output from a search!)

Thanks to the 1Password Team, for hearing us out!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Netpog I would even go one step further, i. e. neither Ctrl+Enter nor Enter. Just search as you type (immediate search) and show all results like it used to be in all previous 1PW versions.

• Hello @netpog,

Thanks for the additional feedback here. I've noted in this post here that we're looking in to making improvements here where possible. I've previously included your feedback in the issue we're tracking.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_mike_d, and I did see your other reply. I just want to endorse here the note from @viswiz. Progressive search (as you type) is wonderfully intuitive and obvious.

Few of us have large enough databases of 1Password items for that to be a performance problem. (And if it became a problem, well, a little hash tabling and/or indexing goes a long way.)

• Hi @netpog, thanks again for the additional comments and feedback here. This has been noted for the Product team. 👍

• Fabihahn
    Fabihahn
    Community Member

Searching in 7 was so much better and easier! I switched to a vault on the left side and after this searching was restricted only to this vault. Now, every searching ist always in all vaults. Please make vault-filtering easy like in 7 again.

• Hello @Fabihahn,

Thanks for your feedback about vault searching. With the introduction of Collections, once a collection of vaults is created and selected, searching is limited to only the vault or vaults added. When you have a moment take a look at that guide and let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

• magendo
    magendo
    Community Member

I also much preferred the 1P7 search. Specifically, the progressive search as you type and also hitting Enter rather than Ctrl+Enter to get the filtered displayed list.

• Hey @cmr011, @DenalB, @Niekie, @MaRob, @BEAK, @ct17, @viswiz, and @Netpog I have some exciting news to share regarding substring searching. We've made some changes to the search functionality in our latest Nightly release (80901013). Substring or partial word search matching has been implemented:

Additionally, if you search for a partial string from the notes section of an item and choose "Show all matching items" from the search results, it will yield all results containing that substring:

If you're interested in checking out these changes, you can navigate to Settings > Advanced and set the release channel to Nightly.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions!

Ali

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @AliH1P !! I just switched to Nightly channel to check this out, and this is VERY nice. Happy to have it. And it's great - downright empowering - to able to search within items for strings in notes and (I see) all other fields.

I'm being greedy, I agree, but would it be too much to ask to have those search results highlighted, at least in the currently selected Item?

PS: I see that there's also progressive search, matching item titles, effective whenever keyboard focus is on the list of items. That's either a new feature that I'm happy to see, or a long-standing one that I'm embarrassed not to have already stumbled upon. Either way, thanks for it.

• cmr011
    cmr011
    Community Member

@AliH1P Can confirm this works and this update is great! Very happy that our feedback is being heard! Thank you!

• Morning folks, thanks for your kind feedback! We're happy to hear you're liking these improvements.

@Netpog, we appreciate your additional request about implementing a highlight function for searched results. I've passed this along to the team for consideration. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-1516

This discussion has been closed.