how do I just generate a new password without saving it?

Options
dealtek
dealtek
Community Member

using 1P v8

how do I just generate a new password without saving it?

v7 used to have a generate pass button - where is it on v8?

1Password Version: 8 8 0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Do you mean in the application?

If so, please correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall, generating a new password in the 1Password 7 application was a little roundabout, and 1Password 8 is similar in that respect:

1. Click File > New Item > Login, then click the Password field > Create a New Password.
    2. Make the password copyable by clicking Use, then select and copy it.
    3. Click the X in the upper right-hand corner of the New Item window and click Discard Changes.

The password will be in your Clipboard but not in the application.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I find it faster and easier to use the password generator in the browser extension:

1. Open a browser window and click the 1Password icon in the Toolbar, then click the Settings icon (circle with three horizontal bars) > Password Generator.
    2. Select and copy the password.
    3. Click the X in the upper right-hand corner of the Password Generator to close it. (Or click anywhere in the browser window to close both the Password Generator and the browser extension.)
  • dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks You very much DavidB. Yes I see how you got it working in the v8 App - this method is somewhat laborious - and I think it should be improved (I think v7 was easier). However your quicker method for the browser extension is MUCH better - so I guess I will just use that.

Thanks Again - Dave

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I see how you got it working in the v8 App - this method is somewhat laborious - and I think it should be improved (I think v7 was easier)

The method in the 1Password 7 application itself was similar to the current one, but there was also the excellent 1Password Mini -- sadly missing from 1Password 8 -- so all you had to do was click the 1Password icon in the menu bar > Generate Password > Save & Copy.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member
    Options

ok thanks for the info

• Hi @dealtek:

I'm glad to hear that DavidB was able to get you sorted (thanks for the assist!). Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.