This extension can read and alter web pages ...

Options
johang
johang
Community Member
edited July 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been using 1Password for many years and just upgraded to 1P8.
To install the Safari extension, I get the warning:
This extension can read and alter web pages you visit your browsing history on all websites. This includes sensitive information from web pages, including passwords phone numbers and credit cards.
How do I know it's safe to proceed? Any advice appreciated.
Thank you!

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:This extension can read and alter web pages you visit your browsing history on all websites. This includes sensitive information from web pages, including passwords phone numbers and credit cards.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2022
    Options

@johang

The extension needs to be able to read web page contents in order to be able to form fill. The security warning is macOS’ way of informing you that the software is requesting permission to do this, in case you wish to deny authorization.

Apple’s tightening of OS security requires that users grant software specific permissions for things like obtaining access to the Desktop folder, or all files and folders, accessing the microphone or webcam, or obtaining access to the web page content that you are browsing.

• johang
    johang
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC, thank you for clarifying

• Hi @johang:

On behalf of @MrC (thanks for the assist! 😎), you're very welcome. You can see a bit more about the permissions 1Password in the browser uses here: About 1Password browser permissions

Jack

This discussion has been closed.