To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Thought I needed a password manager, after 1Password trial I’m not so sure

1PNewbie2022
1PNewbie2022
Community Member

I’ve just completed a 2 week trial of 1Password after much research into the benefits of password managers, and deciding 1Password seemed like a good solution.

Previously I’ve been using the built in password managers on the devices I use (Edge on work laptop, Keychain on iPhone and to a lesser extent iPads and Mac). I never had to think about passwords/credit card details etc with Autofill and it was all very easy to navigate websites and apps without having to do anything.

I was alerted to several issues (passwords used in security breach, reused passwords, weak passwords etc) through these tools which got me started down the rabbit hole of password managers and the additional security they provide but after trying 1Password I’m not convinced the extra hassle is worth it for me. I understand it is less secure if someone gets hold of my phone and guesses my passcode etc (as they’d then have access to all my autofill details), but that seems a small price to pay for all the added complexities in accessing my accounts that 1Password seems to add. I’m not sure if I just haven’t set it up right or if these are just limitations of password managers and the price people are willing to pay for added security (at the expense of ease and convenience).

• Can’t import iOS passwords because my Mac can’t upgrade the the required operating system to allow for me to export them to CSV file.
  • Multiple logins get created in different iterations of the same website. So across platforms 1Password isn’t recognising that it knows the password for the website and I have to do manually and create another entry
  • Can’t just autofill logins, need to go through several clicks to find the password and enter master password repeatedly (with browser extensions and on iPhone).

Essentially I want to update my compromised passwords, and it seems I can do this within my current systems (although a bit more intensive across PC and iOS devices as I’d have to update the autofill on the other device).

I’m also unclear that if I do commit to 1Password then wanted to revert back to just using keychain/Edge etc, will I be able to access those passwords? Your Help pages talk about exporting data for another password manager, but would this work for ios/keychain/edge etc? Given I can’t export my iOS passwords to 1Password, I don’t hold much hope I’d be able to go back the other way. I then don’t want to be having to manually input all the all the complex passwords I’ve created using 1Password into all my sites across platforms.

Would appreciate your thoughts. I don’t feel the two week trial gave me adequate time to fully understand how 1Password can help me. I’ve found it clunky and unnecessarily complex and at this stage I can’t see much reason to persevere. Happy for someone to try to change my mind! Thanks 😊

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @1PNewbie2022 !

You are absolutely right. 2 weeks trial time is not enough to test a password manager and to decide to switch all the data used in other password management environments to a completely new system. I already told 1Password that they should extend trial time at least to 4 weeks as it was some month / years ago.

For me, 1Password is a big relief. I'm using 1Password on a PC and 2 Laptops with Windows 10 / 11 and in Brave browser. Also, I have 4 iPhones and 1 iPad. On all devices, my passwords, credit cards, identities and others are in sync with the help of the 1Password membership. Yes, it takes some time to fully understand what you are able to do with 1Password. But there are a lot of support articles (https://support.1password.com/) and there is a lot of help here in the community.

Maybe it could help to write an e-mail to 1Password (sales@1password.com) and try to ask if you could get some more time to test 1Password before you are able to decide if you need 1Password or not. Actually, I try to convince my kids (10 and 13 years old) to handle 1Password and work with the browser extension to generate random passwords for every service / website they need to get an account. Hopefully it works and if they are able to work with 1Password I would switch to a family account so that both get their own accounts. 👍

Please do not judge too quickly. 1Password is a powerful tool that can help you keep track of your important data. But as I wrote, it takes some time to get used to it. 😉

• @DenalB

Thanks for the assist. I was just thinking earlier (iOS beta translation report) about when I had seen you last. I suspect we have traveled many of the same roads. Our kids are pretty much the same age. I asked my 13 yo the other day, is it in 1Password, all I got was ...Yes...Dad. 🤣

@1PNewbie2022

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question, and one of my colleagues can see if there is anything we can do to extend your trial. We cannot access account information here in the community. Emailing us is needed.

--

Ok, you got the old guy talking! Look at what you have done. Story time! 😂

Back 15 years ago, I tried 1Password and used it for about a week, then I put it down for a few days saying it was too hard and not for me. A few days later, I picked it back up, and the rest is history.

Take your time. We'll be here if you have questions along the way. This great community is what kept me going back then. We'll be here for you too. We've also got email support if you have a matter you would rather not post in the community.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Our kids are pretty much the same age. I asked my 13 yo the other day, is it in 1Password, all I got was ...Yes...Dad. 🤣

This could be an answer from my daughter, too. I thought that I'm the "computer expert" in my family, but she always proves me wrong. 😂

Back 15 years ago, I tried 1Password and used it for about a week, then I put it down for a few days saying it was too hard and not for me. A few days later, I picked it back up, and the rest is history.

I also started to use 1Password some years ago. I tried it for a bit of time and decided to try other password managers, too. So I deleted my 1Password account... Some months later I came back, moved all my passwords to 1Password and again deleted my account after some days. Finally, I came back again, imported all of my passwords and data, and it looks like I found my password manager. Thinking back, I'm annoyed that I didn't stick with 1Password. It would have saved me a lot of time and nerves that I lost with competitors. 😉

• 1PNewbie2022
    1PNewbie2022
    Community Member

@DenalB @ag_tommy

Thank you both for your comments. I will try emailing support to see if I can get a little more time to see whether this is the right solution for me. Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

• 1PNewbie2022

I found your email. One of my colleagues will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: JWQ-85665-487

This discussion has been closed.