Group or hierarchy of items

Vince42
Vince42
Community Member

While I am fine with creating an item for every login etc and I am already using the option to link items forth (not back yet ;) ), I wondered, whether it would be nice, if it were possible to group items or to create hierarchies of items.

Let me explain the idea with a little example. Let's assume I am a customer of a bank. There are usually several different pieces of information that I would like to have accessible when talking to my bank. Those information include for example my customer number, a few accounts, a few cards and my online login details.

Currently it is difficult to gather all those related information together and to have them at a glance.

If it were possible to group items or to create a container (and I am not talking about grouping wallets) or to have the option to build a hierarchy of items that is easily navigatable and displayable, I would be very happy.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Vince42

What you can do now is make the titles amenable to using search to collect all the entries you want.

For example, say you have a bank account, bank login, and credit card all from some bank BigBank. Then, title your entries as:

• Big Bank (login)
    • Big Bank (account)
    • Visa (Big Bank)

Now, you can do a Search on Big Bank, and use the bottom result from the search (or the equivalent keybinding). This will filter to those results, and you can quickly navigate through them with your arrow keys as you need the info.

Alternatively, you can use Tags, adding some tag name to each of those entries you would like "grouped". Then you can select the tag in the sidebar, or search on the tag name. Tags are hierarchical, so you can have:

• Financial
      • Big Bank
      • Small Bank
      • Less Crooked Bank

Maybe this will help you in the mean time.

• Vince42
    Vince42
    Community Member

@MrC Thank you for elaborating this in such a nicely manner!

I am currently achieving my "overview" by searching and hitting Ctrl+Enter afterwards. I already thought about using the tags the way you described it, and it was new to me that they can be hierarchical; the only drawback I fear is, that this approach will result in a multitude of tags, but I will give it a try.

Both solutions definitely ease my pain, although it means to edit dozens of entries until there is a better solution. :)

This discussion has been closed.