Missing Sync

Options
BKoe
BKoe
Community Member

Probably not yet implemented, but I miss the sync functions for local drive or wifi.
Any plan yet when this feature will be added?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 15.4.1

Comments

• Hi @BKoe,

1Password 8 for iOS will require a membership to function.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• BKoe
    BKoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,
    without a subscription (same as membership?) I would not have been able to start up 1pw8 on iOS, nor would I have received the invite to early access beta testing. And of course I am logged in….
    Or is another membership needed? Beta membership, but I got 1pw8 via TestFlight

Best regards Bruno

• Ben
    Options

@BKoe,

The subscription is the fee you pay for the membership service, which includes the sync of your data across all of your devices. I hope that helps clarify.

Ben

• BKoe
    BKoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, to be honest - not really clear. I got that subscription as explained.
    From that point of view it should work, but there is NO possibility in the app yet.

Therefor still unclear when the wifi sync is going to be implemented.
    You should be aware that on purpose I won't use the sync function where the database is hosted on internet for obvious security reasons.

Greets Bruno

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Starting with V8 the only way to sync is 1Password‘s cloud service. The new desktop applications do not support Wi-Fi or any other non cloud sync any longer. I‘m sure this applies to the mobile versions as well.

• rudy
    Options

@BKoe,

WIFI Sync will not be implemented, nor will Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password.com (and by extension 1Password.ca and 1Password.eu) is how your information will be synced between your devices going forward. Definitely let us know if you have any other questions.

• BKoe
    BKoe
    Community Member
    Options

oops!
    That is absolutely not what I expected. To be honest, I became 1PW user years ago EXACTLY for the possibility to keep the database file local and sync in within my domain.
    To remind you, please see attached screenshot and your promised "Guarantee" ... of "always".....which so far I could trust!

For security reasons I won't use the only offered cloud service! I hope you revise your technical choice!

So I will drop 1pw8 and wait some time exploring....

I must say I am very disappointed. I really enjoyed your tool in revision 3 from April 2011 onwards and kept using 1pw6 (so-called lifetime license) until even with Chrome it dit not work on the new macOS. Thus I just decided to step over for the paid subscription model.

Now I should eat another sour apple .... NO!

So back to your question: will you re-consider local databases and local sync?

• stw
    stw
    Community Member
    Options

@BKoe,
    thanks for that post!

@ 1Password-Decision-Staff:

"_ ... I became 1PW user years ago EXACTLY for the possibility to keep the database file local and sync in within my domain._"

i feel the same. My first version was 3.8, since then Ii upgraded and paid with pleasure for it.

"... _For security reasons I won't use the only offered cloud service! I hope you revise your technical choice!

So I will drop 1pw8 and wait some time exploring....

I must say I am very disappointed. I really enjoyed your tool in revision 3 from April 2011 onwards and kept using 1pw6 (so-called lifetime license) until even with Chrome it dit not work on the new macOS. Thus I just decided to step over for the paid subscription model_."

I agree completely (ok, I started with 1PW in November 2011)! So I join the question, will you re-consider [please!] local databases and local sync? My guessing is you will loose some longtime users on this way. Don't get me wrong, I realy like 1PW, but dropping other sync capabilities (Dropbox, iCloud) instead of including other (self-hosting) Services (OneDrive, Nextcloud, OwnCloud, WebDAV, SFTP), pushes me into evolving (not so nice/smart) alternatives to 1PW (Enpass, Bitwarden, KeepassXC).

My family subscription has to be renewed in June, so I will have to think twice. Annoyingly. 🙁

• Atlmagi
    Atlmagi
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add my feelings, I too am a long time user (after testing several other apps) and am VERY disappointed that I cannot sync locally. This seems to take away a major point of security from your users. PLEASE reconsider.

This discussion has been closed.