Easier way to Reveal Password

khaaan
khaaan
Community Member
edited July 2022 in iOS

Currently in 1Password 8, the behavior when tapping a password field is to copy that field to the clipboard, but more often than not I need a quick way of seeing the value of that password. I know I can tap and hold to “Reveal Password”, but I would love a faster way to do this. A couple of ideas are:
1) Provide a setting that controls the default behavior (either “tap to copy”/“tap and hold to reveal”, or vice-versa)
2) Provide a “Reveal” tap target next to every password field (like the eye icon when typing in your master passcode on the lock screen)

The first option actually feels more natural to me, as I could always copy using the normal iOS copy/paste gestures once revealed.

Thanks!

Comments

• @khaaan

If you pin the item to the home screen it should provide that functionality. Does that help? Admittedly it does not help with all items. Perhaps it will be an option for items you use often.

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

3) A swipe action across the field reveals it?

I would find this useful to.

@ag_tommy i only get that functionality as “large type” unless I’m missing something?

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

Pinned fields have the same problem as they also require a tap-and-hold gesture to select View Large Type. It’s the tap-and-hold gesture that adds friction for such a common action.

A swipe gesture is a good suggestion too.

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

I think putting an “eye” icon on the far right side of each password field is the most useful actually. It lets you keep the default behavior of tap-to-copy across the app, while still providing a very quick, one-tap way to view the password. The eye icon is also an increasingly common convention found on many login screens and will be familiar to many users. And it’s a highly discoverable feature.

• alexander.b_1P
    edited August 2022

Hi @khaaan!

Pinned fields will default to copying the value of the field, but it is actually possible to change the default behavior on a per-field basis. If you Tap and Hold a pinned field, you should be able to tap "Default Action" and there you will be able to toggle between "Copy" and "Show in Large Type".

I hope that's helpful!

-Alex

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

Thanks @alexander.b_1P and @ag_tommy ! This is very helpful, as I was not aware of this feature for pinned fields.

The reveal action is so common, though, that I would still like this to be present throughout the app. (Not always as large type either… I actually find the non-large type display of passwords better most of the time.)

One reason that I use reveal password so frequently is because of my work environment. Due to corporate policy, I cannot install 1Password on my work laptop, and our corporate firewall blocks the 1Password.com website. As a result, I have to extract all of my 1Password data from my phone and type it in manually on my work computer. So while pinned fields help for the most common use cases, they don’t come close to covering all 1Password needs throughout the work week.

Hope this clarifies the use case a bit. Really appreciate your feedback.

• starlessblack
    starlessblack
    Community Member

For whatever it’s worth, my spouse and I are not fans of the new, less discoverable and time consuming long press to reveal action.

• Hi @khaaan and @starlessblack ,

To help understand and advocate for your requests, can you elaborate on the use cases that you have for revealing vs copying? From what we have seen, copying is the desired command far more often since you can copy the password, switch to another app, and paste it. And this is usually for cases where the extension or the autofill feature couldn't do it for you.

What cases do you use for revealing and how often do you do this compared to copying?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• starlessblack
    starlessblack
    Community Member

The use cases are when using the 1Password app as a password manager/vault to retrieve and view passwords, CCV codes, etc. for typing into other apps or systems that are not on the phone. It’s not an issue when a system or entering a password on the same device on which the 1Password app is already installed, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes copy/paste is blocked in certain terminals or it’s not working correctly from client to remote SSH system and I’m left with typing as the only option.

Copying and pasting or autofill-ing is ALWAYS preferable or course.

I’d say I probably need to reveal about 1/5 of the time compared to 4/5 of the time I’m copying/pasting.

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_kevin - I am re-pasting my use case from my previous comment:

“One reason that I use reveal password so frequently is because of my work environment. Due to corporate policy, I cannot install 1Password on my work laptop, and our corporate firewall blocks the 1Password.com website. As a result, I have to extract all of my 1Password data from my phone and type it in manually on my work computer. So while pinned fields help for the most common use cases, they don’t come close to covering all 1Password needs throughout the work week.”

I agree that copying is generally preferred as the default action when both 1Password and the app/webpage you’re filling are on the same device. That’s why I’m suggesting the “eye” icon next to all password fields. If you want the default copy behavior, tap on the field as you normally do. If you want to reveal the password, tap on the “eye” icon just like you can do when typing your master password on the lock screen.

Thanks for listening!

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

I wish it went back to the earlier early access builds when if you pressed on the password field it showed up with all the options also like 1P7

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

I already noticed this change as I got 1Password 8 for iOS finally today (and in the TestFlight now, after checking every day for two months for a slot, ha). I'm happy enough with most changes so far, but a single tap to reveal a (non-large, ideally--that's hard to read!) password is definitely necessary. I use this on my Mac regularly and also my phone. For example, I'm occasionally working with computers (I'm an IT consultant) that are new and I need to enter administrative credentials visually from my phone into the computer.

Or, I occasionally hand check deposits at my front desk with the check scanner when my front desk person is out of the office on vacation. I log into the computer with a Yubikey and AzureAD, but my bank requires a company number/username/password and then a PIN and 6-digit code from their own hardware ID. I don't want to install 1Password on that computer as I don't use it otherwise, so I'm fine typing the bank password in, but need to do so visually from my phone screen.

I'm usually in a hurry, and want to just tap to reveal--it's long, and shows up much better in the text box than with the Large Type field, as well. I don't use it often, so I don't want to pin it, but I do have it in my Favorites--it's already been annoying to have to open the item to view the password (the Favorites list in 1Password 7 and then reveal the password (the drop down means not waiting for tap-and-hold) and type it. Tap-and-hold is too long, it should be reserved for much more infrequent things now that Apple killed Force Touch where I could just hard-tap faster to access what is now tap-and-hold (now that Force Touch is sadly entirely dead--so nice to force touch the keyboard to position the text caret, now a long-touch wait on the space bar is required to do the same :-( )

Anyway, I fully agree that easier Reveal access (pinned or in-item, ideally) without Large Type, should be faster than touch and hold requires!

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

I think it would best to show you all options when you tap, someone in my family who is an average tech user asked me how to see a password as there is no hint at how to do it.

• thelowlypeon
    thelowlypeon
    Community Member

+1! in addition to being able to more easily see sensitive fields (such as PINs), i’ve already lost whatever was in my clipboard multiple times by accidentally copying

• InfiniteBeat
    InfiniteBeat
    Community Member

Yep. Leave it is as user own choice as a possibility to customize behaviour. Do not anticipate what most of your users usually do. I suppose it is not a rocket science to make it personally customized.

• sionell
    sionell
    Community Member

I also have the use case of using 1Password 8 on my phone to access passwords that I then type in on a variety of other devices: work laptop, spouse's laptop, some annoying app/site on my iPad that autofill won't work on and it's easier to to reference it from my phone than try and switch between apps on the iPad.

I would love to have this be a user configurable option: tap action = [ copy to clipboard | reveal | reveal large text ].

Long press drives me crazy because I don't remember it and it takes extra steps to get what I need.

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member

Hi - I'm not sure when this happened, but I just noticed in the iOS beta earlier this week that there's a new triple-dot menu that contains an option to "Reveal" any concealed fields. This is just what I was looking for - thank you!

• GSB914
    GSB914
    Community Member

I'm going to add my 2 cents here: I constantly need to be able to SEE the password and having to touch it to get it revealed is super annoying and time wasting. If I open the app to get a password, and navigate to that item in the app, I want to see the pw I am seeking as quickly as possible without having to do any extra steps. No one is looking over my shoulder trying to see my passwords, so show it to me with as few keystrokes as possible please. I'd like a default where if I navigate to a login record, the pw is defaulted to be visible. Thanks for intaking my opinion on this.

• @GSB914

If you wish to always display your password that is possible.

Settings > Advanced > Security - Always show passwords and full credit card numbers.

• GSB914
    GSB914
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thank you so much! I found the spot to make this the default setting. Sooo much better. Thank you again!

• You're most welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.