What's the best way to report autofill not working on certain Android apps and webpages

1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
Community Member

There are SO MANY websites (in Chrome and Brave) and apps where autofill only half works (does pw but not user) or doesn't work at all. Honestly, I could submit one a day here for the rest of the summer. It's always a crap shoot when I go to fill in using 1P. Maybe the UX is better with iOS but wow there are so many non working sites in Android. How can I report these if your team is willing to fix them?

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

Same for me. I have reported a number of specific websites to the support team, but it gets old really fast, to be honest, especially when Google's own autofill works almost flawlessly. The support team has suggested a wide variety of workarounds and things to try, but none of them have worked for me. It's really driving me away from 1Password and into the arms of Google/Chrome, because autofill works without a hitch almost every time, and not just for passwords, but also identities and addresses, which 1Password handles even worse than passwords.

I'm using version 8, by the way, but version 7 was no better for me.

• 1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
    1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
    Community Member

I know this is the Android forum but I wonder if it's the same on ios? If it is, then this company is dead man walking. But if ios is great then this company doesnt support android well and i'd like to hear what password manager is best for 'true' cross platform equality. Funny how tech companies care so much about equality in every part of their business, and champion all the time in PR puff pieces, except when it comes to mobile OS. Then there is no equality. Ah, the hypocrisy of big tech.

• Hello @1Pisntwhatitusedtobe, thanks for reaching out, I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've run into with Autofill.

How can I report these...

You are welcome to share any apps or websites with Autofill issues here on the forum or through our email support. To contact us via email you can send a message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

If you email us you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

...if your team is willing to fix them?

Our development team is making regular improvements to Autofill to address issues as they emerge. We greatly appreciate customers flagging these issues and will continue to work towards resolving them. That being said, a fix is not always possible from our end.

I think a great example of this was the Gboard issue around the launch of Android 12. The Gboard update at the time was preventing Autofill prompts from appearing in the suggestion strip which made it seem that 1Password for Android was failing to Autofill. An update from Gboard was required to completely resolve this issue but our development team worked quickly to add the Always show Autofill suggestions below fields setting to a beta which provided a workaround to bypass the suggestion strip.

I know this is the Android forum but I wonder if it's the same on ios?

Autofill can be challenging on Android devices because each manufacturer does something a little differently with the operating system and there tends to be a lot more options for customization. Please feel free to share the apps and websites where you've seen issues and we would be happy to look into it! Thanks again.

@MerryBit, thanks for joining the conversation. I'm sorry to hear about these ongoing Autofill issues.

1Password 8 for Android uses a filling logic component called the "Brain" that we use with 1Password in the browser. In general, this should mean that Autofill is now smarter and can fill more data in more places. However, the Brain was first developed for the web, and there is ongoing work to optimize it for mobile apps and browsers. If you've run into any filling issues with apps and websites using 1Password 8 please feel free to share them here or via email. Thanks again!

• 1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
    1Pisntwhatitusedtobe
    Community Member

Can you start with this, if you can find and fix these, then I can provide more. App: US Bank. The username autofill is broken, pw works fine. Website: carsandbids.com (it doesn't autofill username, but pw works). LMK what you find out. Happy to give you 2 more everytime you can fix these. Can do it for the rest of the summer for sure.

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

@ag_timothy wrote:

If you've run into any filling issues with apps and websites using 1Password 8 please feel free to share them here or via email.

Yes, I know, and I have done so several times. But as I wrote above, the whole process of opening up a new email, writing an explanation of the issue, including relevant details copy-pasted from the browser, screenshots, diagnostics report, etc., gets old very quickly. Do it a number of times, and frankly, I can't be bothered to do it again. Instead, may I suggest that you implement a one-click solution integrated into the app or the extension that allows your users to report a website where Autofill doesn't work swiftly and painlessly?

• Hi @MerryBit, thanks for sharing that feedback with us. I can definitely understand how the process could become tedious and I'm sorry for all the trouble. I can see we are tracking a related feature request so I've gone ahead and included your input. Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing those with us @1Pisntwhatitusedtobe. Letting us know where you're seeing issues helps us look for areas we need to optimize. While it's possible in some cases, we are not always able to 'fix' filling for apps or websites à la carte.

I tested the US Bank app and found similar behavior. Cars and Bids worked as expected for me in DuckDuckGo and Firefox but I did see what you described in Chrome and Brave. I've added both to our tracker. Thanks again, and feel free to share any others!

ref: IDEA-I-715
    ref: dev/core/core#16229

• zoli0db
    zoli0db
    Community Member

Hi, I have a same issue in a Samsung Galaxy Fold Z 2 5G with Android 12 in Chrome. It fills pwd but no username. When I press username-field doesn't pop up the 1password mini-button (above the keyboard). When I press the pwd-field the mini-button comes up. After this when I press the username-field the mini-button comes up too (but not in first press). However, filling in the username field does not work in either case. It worked well with version 7 app.

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member

I just live with it.

• Sorry to hear that @zoli0db and thanks for letting us know. Are you seeing the same issue with a website or app mentioned in this thread or a different one? If you're seeing this issue in another app or website, please let us know which. Thanks again!

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member

I'm having a lot of issues on autofill and even just manual copy on Motorola edge (2021) 8+256 cell phone. Good to know you are working on it and I'm not alone.

• Hi @nhDOBsfc thanks for your comments! While we're always working to expand and improve 1Password, work on Autofill has definitely become a focus with the recent mobile releases.

If there's anything we can help with in regards to filling on your device, I'd like to ask that you start a new discussion so we can focus on that specific issue (you can click New Discussion at the top of the page here), or you can send in an email to our support team with a brief description of the issue:

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.