Are there any (honest) release notes for version 8?

Options
Netpog
Netpog
Community Member

After "upgrading" from v. 7, it was very frustrating to discover that field-moving was removed. My workflow had become dependent on it. Ditto auto-fill for apps. So I wonder:

**Is there a list, anywhere, of the features that were removed between v. 7 and v. 8?

Also looking for a list of UI changes that demand user-behavior changes, such as the pointlessly-broken search behavior.
Fewer of us would be feeling betrayed by 1Password if there had been an industry-standard level of transparency about this. If the above is in your release notes, I can't find it. I see nothing but the good news: bugs fixed & features added.

About that search behavior, this is the only app I've ever used where "enter" does the unusual, weird thing, as opposed the {meta key}+Enter.

I can't be the only one struggling to remember to use "Ctrl+Enter" to get the expected list of search results. Every Windows app, ever, has taught me to do the opposite.

(If nothing else, let us toggle the behaviors of Enter versus Ctrl+Enter in settings! Because WHO is it that prefers the new behavior? And, why?)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Netpog,

Thanks for your feedback. We don't maintain a list of the features differences between version 7 and 8. 1Password 8 is a completely new app built from the ground up and while not all features have made it over to version 8 most are available, but perhaps implemented differently or located a different place.

Of the features you've mentioned - ability to move fields, autofill, and improved searching - are all highly requested features that the Product team continues to gather details about and work towards making improvements, where possible. I'm happy to advocate for you and have added a +1 to each of those feature requests we're tracking.

If you have any features you're missing or would like to see improved, please let us know!

ref: IDEA-I-372
    ref: IDEA-I-193
    ref: IDEA-I-527

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @ag_mike_d, for your reply, and for listening. Please note my other suggestion: to allow control over some of these changes via the app's Settings.

Maybe some people like the new search behavior. You could leave that unchanged, while simultaneously accommodating the fogies like me who want search to behave the old way (without having to use Ctrl+Enter), by adding a toggle to Settings.

And thanks also for the explanation about the v7/v8 mismatch. I appreciate that v 8 is a total rewrite, and that those are often essential, if only to avoid a badly compounding technical debt. But the v8 design process should have been done with the v7 UX firmly in mind.

So I fault your design process. Or, in other words, your project management.

Yours in UX curmudgeonry,
    Dan in Boston

• Hello again @netpog, you're most welcome. Your suggestion about allowing some control or a toggle of Enter versus Ctrl+Enter through settings, has been noted for the team.

We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made and when possible act on those suggestions to enhance the 1Password user experience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Do let us know if you have any additional suggestions and have a great day!

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, @ag_mike_d. And yes, of course I do. But at a different level, as you see on this thread, starting here.

• @Netpog, thanks for pointing us to this thread and those comments.

This discussion has been closed.