To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key visible on devices

Shirl36
Shirl36
Community Member

Hi, Finally heading off overseas again and reviewing security of our devices. It has me slightly bothered that once someone accesses my phone (protected by pin and/or fingerprint), they can then access 1 password by fingerprint (not sure easy this would be for someone who is knowledgable).

Is there any need to take any further precautions with phones and computers that travel with us?

If a phone is stolen, is it advisable to change the password or is it of no advantage given that the existing password is long and complicated?
Should I generate a new secret key as if someone gets in they also have access to this?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Shirl36

Hi, Finally heading off overseas again and reviewing security of our devices. It has me slightly bothered that once someone accesses my phone (protected by pin and/or fingerprint), they can then access 1 password by fingerprint (not sure easy this would be for someone who is knowledgable).

First and foremost, I wish you the safest of travels with lots of fun on the way. This question varies largely on your threat tolerance. If you are worried someone may gain access to the data you have stored in 1Password while traveling, disabling biometric unlock for your travels may be a great idea. This would remove the threat you mentioned, but you would sacrifice the ease of unlocking the 1Password apps.

Is there any need to take any further precautions with phones and computers that travel with us?

Whenever you travel, I highly recommend that you password protect all devices with something unique and memorable. This helps to ensure unwarranted access is not allowed. 1Password has an amazing feature called Travel Mode. This feature will enable you to remove vaults from your computers and mobile devices, except those you mark as safe for travel.

If a phone is stolen, is it advisable to change the password or is it of no advantage given that the existing password is long and complicated?
    Should I generate a new secret key as if someone gets in they also have access to this?

You do not have to change your account password or Secret Key if your phone has been stolen. However, I always find it better to be safe than sorry. Out of personal preference, I would advise changing your account password and Secret Key. It would be advisable to deauthorize the device stolen from 1Password.com.

With that said, I recommend checking out this guide if your phone or other devices have been lost with 1Password installed on them.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Shirl36
    Shirl36
    Community Member

Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply - I will have a read through the links and get back to you!

• On behalf of Joshua, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.