1Password 8 - Where are the settings previously in the "Vault" Preference Pane

hal1password
hal1password
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Mac

I was trying out 1Password 8 primarily to see if biometric unlocking would help a specific user. However, I could not find the settings which are available in the Preferences>Vault pane of 1Password 7. How do I set "Always open to", "Show in All Vaults", and "Vault for Saving"

Here's the 1Password7 preferences:

And what I'm seeing in 1Password8:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @hal1password

The setting to save to a specific vault is not within 1Password 8. There is a feature request to have a saving vault return to the app. I'd be happy to add your voice to that request. That said, you can set a saving vault in 1Password on the browser. That might be helpful to you.

The option to show in all vault would be akin to Using collections to create custom groups of vaults

1. Open the browser.
    2. Right-click the toolbar icon and select settings.
    3. Select the General section.
    4. Set the saving vault.

ref: IDEA-I-292 ref: IDEA-I-281 ref: IDEA-I-762

• hal1password
    hal1password
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@ag_tommy

That said, you can set a saving vault in 1Password on the browser. That might be helpful to you.

If you use the setting set in the Browser, is that a user level setting which would propagate to and be used by the iOS and macOS applications or only a setting with relevance while using the browser?

With respect to using Collections that might work for my needs, depending on how "Collections" interact with your browser extensions. In particular, if one sets a Collection in the macOS app, will the browser extensions only use that specific Collection for both retrieving credentials and storing new credentials? If also for storing, which my quick test shows the Collection choice within the macOS app persisting across invocations of the macOS app, will that continue to be the case?

I would need similar support for both macOS and iOS. Also, it appears from my quick test that when a Collection contains multiple Vaults that adding a credential defaults to the first Vault in the list but can be overridden before saving. It might be nice to be able to specify the default Vault for the Collection. Here my quick test seems to indicate that the Collection setting in the macOS app does not propagate to the 1Password Quick Access popup.

Please see my prior question for the usage pattern I am trying to support. That is novice users such as child or elderly relative whom Family manager is trying to support.

I really want to be able to have the family members default be to retrieving and storing in a specific Shared Vault.

• @hal1password

Browser specific. You can have a different setting for each browser. For example I can set one collection for Safari and another for Chrome. Currently 1Password in the browser does not support collections. I would love to see this ability. I think it would benefit so many users. A collection is just a container of things I need ready access too. It would not be a replacement for the saving vault location.

• hal1password
    hal1password
    Community Member

Please add me to the list of individuals requesting the ability to continue to be able (1) Set the Vaults which are used in the "All Vaults" search, and (2) the default Vault for saving. Without that I can't see how to support novice or elderly users in Family accounts as described in my prior post

BTW, the post to which your second post was made seems to have disappeared. Not sure how, I tried to use the "edit cog" to change "shared folder" to "Shared Vault".

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

@hal1password

Apologies. The spam catcher caught it. I have wrestled it free and placed it back where it should be.

Please add me to the list of individuals requesting the ability to continue to be able (1) Set the Vaults which are used in the "All Vaults" search, and (2) the default Vault for saving.

Done.

I replied to your other posting.

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

Hi - I'd like to add my voice for this feature as well. I am the de-facto "IT Manager" for my wife, kids, siblings, and parents, and the only way they'll use 1Password is if I set it up for them and everything is automatic. They don't know what a "vault" even is, much less why new items should be saved in a particular one.

I tried to count up all the devices I've installed 1Password on that need to "just work" - between laptops, iPads, iPhones, there's about 15 devices that I "manage". Upgrading to 1Password 8 on all of these will be enough work already for me - and after I do so, it truly needs to "just work" for everyone involved.

• XanderP
    XanderP
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Please also add me to the list of customers who are highly requesting that the ability to modify your default vault be added to 1Password 8. As others have said, I am the de facto "IT Manager" for my family, and I need this functionality back for 1Password to be of any use to my senior parents and non-techie wife. Without this option, 1Password 8 is untenable for my family.

• Done. :) Have you also tried configuring the saving vault within 1Password in the browser? That may help as they save new data? Right-click on the browser toolbar icon and select settings and in the General tab you'll see the option.

• hal1password
    hal1password
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, are you suggesting that if set in the browser, that the 1Password8 Mac application and Safari extensions will follow the setting from the browser. Or will that only be for the Safari extension?

• @hal1password

Only the browser extension. There is not a default vault you can set within the Mac app. In the Mac app saving will automatically default to the Personal vault of the first added account. The above suggestion is because ideally you'll be saving data as you browse and allowing 1Password to pick up details from the login page.

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

Thank you for implementing this and for following up!

• @nfarina

Thank you again for your feedback and suggestion. 🙂

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

Oh - I just realized that "Done :)" meant like, "I added you to the list of people who want this feature" and not "the feature is done". To be clear, I would still like the ability to set a default vault within the apps themselves. Anything that I can configure once on a user's behalf and not have to worry about again.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

@nfarina

Sorry for the confusion. I have passed that request on to the rest of the team. Thank you for the clarification.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• rmauer
    rmauer
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

And I too would like the Save as a default vault for saving

• 👍 Noted!

• DiThoKo
    DiThoKo
    Community Member

Me too. I miss the save-in default setting.

• @DiThoKo

The latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac now allows you to set a default vault:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on General.
    5. Set "Save new items in:" to the desired vault.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• DiThoKo
    DiThoKo
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

that‘s great. Thanks for posting. Will this feature be rolled out for iOS (iPhones), as well?

• @DiThoKo

Yep! The aim is to have new features available on all platforms if it's technically possible. I can't say for sure when this will be added to 1Password for iOS, but it is on the roadmap. :)

This discussion has been closed.