Quickly get a new password in 1password 8?

dbooster
dbooster
Community Member

I just updated to a new Mac and installed 1password 8. I was using 1password 7 on the old machine. One thing that instantly jumped out at me is that it seems like I can no longer quickly make new passwords. On the old version I could use the hotkey in any app (mine was set to cmd-opt-]) to pull up 1password mini and on that I could select to make a new password, with all options including set length and so on. This made it really easy to update passwords. I'd go there, make a new one, copy to clipboard, then when I used it to login again 1password would catch the new password and prompt me to update the record. Easy.

Now today I just went to update my Amazon password. I pulled up the 1password mini, which it seems like I can only pull it up with the cmd+] so it won't always come up. Then notice there is no way to quickly make a new password anymore. It seems like the only way to make a new password is to open up the full app, navigate to my amazon record, click edit, and generate the new password there. Is that correct? If so, you just made it a much longer process out of what used to be a very quick one.

Am I missing an easier way to do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dbooster:

Do you have 1Password in the browser installed as well? You don't need to open the full 1Password app to change your Amazon password. When you navigate to Amazon's change password page, if you have 1Password in the browser installed, you'll see a suggested password right on the password change box, like so:

After filling in your current password, you can click the new password box for the password suggestion, save the changes to your Login item in 1Password, and submit the password change to 1Password.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member

Why was the feature to optionally select "memorable" passwords, number of non-alpha characters, etc. removed or cleverly hidden?

• Hi @testastretta,

You can find this feature in the password generator built into the 1Password browser extension:

From there you can also select a certain type of generated password as your default so it will appear for future suggested passwords. 🙂

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member

Hi Andrew,

Is it my imagination, or did you folks move this from the Finder icon to the browser icon? I seem to recall that feature was equally available from the Finder as well.

Your solution works. This seemingly is the third UI/UE change in 1P 8.

• Hi @dmitriid:

The inline password suggestion is controlled by the default password generator option. To change the default password generator, follow the steps my colleague Andrew provided above, choose Memorable Password, then "Use as default for suggestions":

@testastretta:

Yes, that's correct.

Jack

• dbooster
    dbooster
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should give Safari another try; it keeps improving and making everything easier. But at any rate, I am currently using Brave. I actually wasn't using the extension button. Your previous version trained me to just use the hotkey to pull up 1password mini which gave me quick access to everything. But I can now see that the extension button gives me all those old shortcuts that I have been missing, so it's all good. Cheers!

• dbooster
    dbooster
    Community Member

By the way, as I explore this password generator in the extension, what is the difference between a smart password and a random password?

• Glad to hear it, @dbooster!

Smart passwords from the password generator are based on rules provided by the current website whereas random passwords give you some easier customization options. There's certainly potential for them to look very similar depending on your preferences! Here's a related blog post if you're curious about how the smart part works: A smart(er) password generator | 1Password 🙂

This discussion has been closed.